250 GTE Newbie

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

250 GTE Newbie

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Tom - Thank you for all of the work on your great site.  You have given me a considerable amount of information that I can use on my car, as well as kept me awake a few nights as I realize how much work I have ahead of me!

I recently purchased a 1963 250 GTE (SN 4247)that was sitting in a neighbor's back yard since the husband's death 10 years ago.  The leather is shot from baking in the sun for so long, but no dings on the body and all the important parts are there.  In fact, the previous owner drove it to work daily until it was put on blocks, but it only has 60k miles.

As I start my quest (with my 10 year old daughter, Colleen, the queen of the buffing wheel), I will be checking in to update you guys and ask lots of questions.  In fact, I will start by asking where you get your gaskets (ie: oil pan, carburetor, etc).  Are you making your own, or can they still be purchased?  Also, should anyone have a spare driver's door window, plugs for the jack holes or information on a good battery, let me know!

wwwboard

Re: 250 GTE Newbie

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Ferrari Brotherhood!

There are lots of sources for parts, and some of them are on my "links" area. I've also got some other sources if you come up empty which you can e-mail me about.

Carb rebuild kits are available from most of the Ferrari sources. I would just buy the complete rebuild kits, since I gaurentee you'll need to rebuild all three carbs. Complete engine gasket kits are available as well from the Ferrari sources, although expensive, will be cheaper in the long run. Making gaskets can sometimes work, but these gaskets vary in thickness, and gettting them wrong could have adverse affect on the part. I guess it depends on the part.

Sears diehard batteries are fine, and I can find out the size if you need.

Tom &nbsp