Correct plating finish on Cheney hose clamps

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Correct plating finish on Cheney hose clamps

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

I just got a bunch of old Cheney hose clamps from a junkyard to improve my 330 engine compartment's originality.  But the clamps need replating first.  Does anybody know what type of plating is most correct?
wwwboard

Re: Correct plating finish on Cheney hose clamps

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

I believe they were Nickle plated.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Hi Tom,

I spoke with a fellow at David Carte's place, who said that they usually do theirs in cadmium, but that some folks use nickel.  Mike Dunn (100-pt Superfast at last year's Italiano) said to use barrel cadmium - you want it dull.  Looking at the inside of some of my old clamps, I could believe nickel.

Can you explain more about why you believe Ni is correct?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Hi Tom,

I spoke with a fellow at David Carte's place, who said that they usually do theirs in cadmium, but that some folks use nickel.  Mike Dunn (100-pt Superfast at last year's Italiano) said to use barrel cadmium - you want it dull.  Looking at the inside of some of my old clamps, I could believe nickel.

Can you explain more about why you believe Ni is correct?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

Cad plating has a yellow tint to them, and doesn't look right in the earlier cars. I've seen a lot of restorations, and they all seem to have nickle plate.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

Cad plating has a yellow tint to them, and doesn't look right in the earlier cars. I've seen a lot of restorations, and they all seem to have nickle plate.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Mine look like nickel inside the clamp bands, where the old plating is still there - I might have a friend who can analyze it to determine Ni or Cd once and for all.  So far I have both opinions - two well-known ferrari restoration shops who both say cad; and then you, and the inside of my own old clamps, which appear to be nickel!

Type I Cad (non-chromated) will turn out white, rather than yellow.  But it isn't a very durable coating, which is why the industry went to chromating the cad in yellow, or other colors.

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Mine look like nickel inside the clamp bands, where the old plating is still there - I might have a friend who can analyze it to determine Ni or Cd once and for all.  So far I have both opinions - two well-known ferrari restoration shops who both say cad; and then you, and the inside of my own old clamps, which appear to be nickel!

Type I Cad (non-chromated) will turn out white, rather than yellow.  But it isn't a very durable coating, which is why the industry went to chromating the cad in yellow, or other colors.

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

What do the FCA judges say? If you're going to go to this extent of "correctness," aren't these the guys you need to agree with?

Francois say "nickel," but when some Judge argues the point, he can at least counter with the fact that he worked at the factory! We don't have such reputations!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

What do the FCA judges say? If you're going to go to this extent of "correctness," aren't these the guys you need to agree with?

Francois say "nickel," but when some Judge argues the point, he can at least counter with the fact that he worked at the factory! We don't have such reputations!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Deane,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

One judge I've spoken with wants cadmium.  Another will accept cadmium or nickel.  Two prominent restorers each say cadmium.  And it sounds like Francois says nickel.  Point taken that none of the other folks has ever worked at the factory!

Maybe I'll ask the plater what metal he believes is covering my old clamps.

Oh well, let's keep it in perspective!  They're only hose clamps, and they're easy to unscrew.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

One judge I've spoken with wants cadmium.  Another will accept cadmium or nickel.  Two prominent restorers each say cadmium.  And it sounds like Francois says nickel.  Point taken that none of the other folks has ever worked at the factory!

Maybe I'll ask the plater what metal he believes is covering my old clamps.

Oh well, let's keep it in perspective!  They're only hose clamps, and they're easy to unscrew.