Fuel Filter - Compliments and Questions

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Fuel Filter - Compliments and Questions

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

I spent the afternoon cleaning the reminants of 10 year old gasoline from my fuel filter (Fispa Torino FRB-11 - don't know if the 330 uses the same as the 250) and am very impressed with this part.  It seems to me that the glass bowl, the hose attachments and casting of the lid are considerably more elegant than the part warrants.  I love the fact that someone gave that kind of thought to such a lowly part, which I guess is why I am attracted to the Ferrari in the first place.  This detailing also begs the question of why the same person was not assigned to design the hose attachments on the radiator...

Anyway, I am confused as to the purpose of the adjustment screw on the top of the filter.  It appears to attach to a spring, which in turn is used to compress\decompress a diaphram, which forms the roof of the exit chamber for the fuel.  Why?  To what purpose do we shrink or enlarge this chamber?  Is it a siphon mechanism for drawing fuel through the filter when dry?
wwwboard

Re: Fuel Filter - Compliments and Questions

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew Brent

Hi,

It is a nice mechanical design. The screw thingy you mention is a pressure regulator. It should be able to be set to limit the mechanical pump's output to 3psi.

Regards,

Andrew.