Ferrari 308 SLOWDOWN indicator

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Ferrari 308 SLOWDOWN indicator

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Donny Bridges

I recently bought an 84 308 GTSi QV.  While driving it home (after about 500 miles of a 1200 mile trip) I noticed the slowdown light starting to glow.  I immediately stopped and let the car cool.  I restarted it after about 3 hours and the light was not on.  I again started home, but after 15 minutes or so saw the light come back on.  While the engine is warm the light will come on at startup and fade away.  After 10 minutes it slowly comes back on.  The car was located in Denver, 5200 ft.  The problem started  in Oklahome City, about 1200 ft.  Could someone please give me some insite on what causes the slowdown light and how do you troubleshoot it?  Any help is appreciated.
wwwboard

Re: Ferrari 308 SLOWDOWN indicator

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by william speer

i had a 1980 gtsi and if memory serves correct, the slow down indictator measures tempatures of the cats. basically, your cats are overheating and you need to back off the throttle.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew Brent

Hi,

Yes, this is what the light means, but I just rode in a 84 QV up and back to Monterey and no lights. Hard driving too. I think there could be too much fuel being dumped into the exhaust, but so far cannot think how that would be the case on a completly electronic fuel injection system.

I mean, have you tuned it up, it could be a simple as old bad plugs.

Bye.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Pete

And hot cats usually mean a rich mixture.  Sounds like the car is tuned for higher altitude and therefore for a richer mixture.