Stainless Exaughst

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Stainless Exaughst

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

Tom,
Go with the stainless exaughst system. I had to make the same choice on my Buick and am glad now that I went with the stainless. Even though 90 % of the time it wont be seen, It is so much prettier.
It is well worth the few (200 in my case) dollars more.
Besides, it will be the last system you will ever have to buy and it will add to the resale value.
Bill
wwwboard

Re: Stainless Exaughst

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Bill,

I agree with you on the longevity and the looks, but would you believe it if I told you a stainless exhaust for my car costs about $3000 dollars!!! I could not think that making one from scratch could cost much more than $500-$1000. That's a big price difference.

I've often asked myself why there is such a big difference in price considering a stainless exhaust for another car hardly ever exceeds $1000 bucks. The Ferrari exhaust uses several very low profile mufflers, some with dual inlet, and dual outlet pipes ending with resonator tips. I guess all these small details raise the cost of this system. Still kind of unbelieveable!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

Tom, That is obscene !!! And they talk about price gouging on gas....

Do you have the old system ? IF so maybe you can send it to the people who made mine. They said they can make anything.
I dont know about mufflers though...
I will find thier phone number and give it to you, cant hurt to ask someone besides a Ferrari place.

Hope you are doing OK in NYC. Our prayers are with you all. What does this do to your trip to China ?

Regards
Bill
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

HI Bill,

I've seen off the shelf low profile mufflers that are available, so I don't think that will  be a problem. Unfortunately I don't have a existing exhaust to copy, so one will have to be fabricated using the car to fit it in place. I'd still be interested in speaking to your muffler shop to see what advice they can offer. Where are they located?

Another consideration is the sound an aftermarket exhaust produces. Yale has ridden in a 330 with a different exhaust, and he says it's definitely louder, and deeper sounding. The last thing I want is for my car to sound like a Mustang GT! Not that there's anything wrong with that sound (I think they sound great), but it's not the sound you want for a Vintage Ferrari!

My trip to China has been voluntarily postponed, but I don't think we would have had a choice considering the state of air travel these days!

Life in NYC has been a little trying. We are surrounded by people desperately looking for their missing loved ones. Hope is fading, and we can do almost nothing but wait for news.

Tom

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

HI Bill,

I've seen off the shelf low profile mufflers that are available, so I don't think that will  be a problem. Unfortunately I don't have a existing exhaust to copy, so one will have to be fabricated using the car to fit it in place. I'd still be interested in speaking to your muffler shop to see what advice they can offer. Where are they located?

Another consideration is the sound an aftermarket exhaust produces. Yale has ridden in a 330 with a different exhaust, and he says it's definitely louder, and deeper sounding. The last thing I want is for my car to sound like a Mustang GT! Not that there's anything wrong with that sound (I think they sound great), but it's not the sound you want for a Vintage Ferrari!

My trip to China has been voluntarily postponed, but I don't think we would have had a choice considering the state of air travel these days!

Life in NYC has been a little trying. We are surrounded by people desperately looking for their missing loved ones. Hope is fading, and we can do almost nothing but wait for news.

Tom

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

Tom,
The shop is located somewhere in Georgia. He had patterns for my Buick that fit with just a little tweaking.
Call Scott at 1 706 865-5433
Good luck and let me know how it goes.

I understand about your trip... one of my employees canceled her trip to Hong Kong in 2 weeks because of the uncertainty.

Bill
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

Tom,
The shop is located somewhere in Georgia. He had patterns for my Buick that fit with just a little tweaking.

I understand about your trip... one of my employees canceled her trip to Hong Kong in 2 weeks because of the uncertainty.

Bill
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

Tom,

Bill
wwwboard

Re: Stainless Exhaust

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Tom,

FWIW, Bill White has a fantastic sounding custom exhaust on his 330GT.  I think he used the resonator tips from a Daytona, with two sets of two SS pipes running all the way back from the first set of headers.  He had it assembled locally for around $500 or so I think.  The ones that came off 7537 are junk, unfortunately, and I'm thinking I'll follow Bill's route.  You could go this route and save up for a Timevalve set later if it just doesn't sound right to you.

I read somewhere that the advantage of the Timevalve exhausts, apparently, is that they pulled apart an original in order to recreate all the internals accurately.  This adherance to the original design assures the correct sound, and whatever exhaust tuning Ferrari may have had built into their design.

There are other exhaust vendors listed in Forza - I thought Quicksilver was only(!) $2000 for the 4 rear units.

Good luck Tom, your getting close,

Jonathon
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Adam

Hi Tom,

Just another suggestion about choosing the exaughst. Check out the following site. I've never actually spoken to the owner's of the site but from what is included on some pages they appear to have a pretty good idea about auto engineering. They may be able to point you in the direction of a cheaper custom fabricated system that works as well or better than an original 60's design.
http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/index.html