Fuel pick up tube

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Fuel pick up tube

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Tom,

Was it especially hard to extract the intake tube from the gas tank?  I tried turning the hex head of the bolt and it felt like it was frozen solid.  Normally I would put the torch to a stubborn nut but being a gas tank I don’t think that would be wise.  I am scared of tearing the riveted flange off the side of the tank.  Any ideas?

john

wwwboard

Re: Fuel pick up tube

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi John,

It's a brass on brass fitting, so it could be seized pretty well. I'd soak everything with penetrating oil and tap the bolt lightly to see if anything gives. Be paitient, and hopefully you won't break anything. Good luck.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I've used a small pipe wrench or vise grip pliers on the extension from the gas tank.  That's simply riveted and soldered to the tank and it's possible to torque it enough to cause a leak.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jaan HJorth

Not to sound like an animal, but vise grips with a shop towel underneath should allow you to grip the tank flange. & keep it from flexing.I've been there & I was concerned about the torch myself.........
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jaan HJorth

Not to sound like an animal, but vise grips with a shop towel underneath should allow you to grip the tank flange. & keep it from flexing.I've been there & I was concerned about the torch myself.........