Exhaust Hangers

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Exhaust Hangers

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Parker

HiTom: I was looking at a couple of the old articles and printed out the one from 9/23/01 which shows a picture of the exhaust hangers. The one shown is the center pull type.Both halves of the metal ends are symetrical so that the center of the pulling action is at the central axis of the rubber/cord belting. The "later" type is called the side pull configuration which use different metal ends. With the side pull set up one piece of metal is "flat" and the other one bends the full thickness of the strap to match it.If this is hard to understand I think it will be easy to see if Francois has a couple of the old pieces to show you. I had thought that the center pull type were used until about 1964 and that the side pull type were introduced as a replacement at that time. Typically the center pull hangers use a 6mm thick spacer while the side pull hangers use 4mm thick spacers. A couple of pretty serious historian/ restorers have recently shown me several old hangers and have made a good case that the side pull hangers were used as early as 1959. Perhaps its as simple as two different suppliers? I'd sure like to get Francois' take on it if he remembers such details. I think the current crop of side pull hangers use pop rivets which I've never seen on any of the original pieces. I'm a big fan of your operation and hope you'll keep it going. Hi to Francois and Pam and best wishes from Mississippi.
wwwboard

Re: Exhaust Hangers

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Parker,

I'll send your regards, and ask Francois tomorrow what he thinks. I'll also be contacting you for some of these center pull hangers as soon as I figure out how many I'll need to replace!

I plan on taking this restoration, and website to it's completion, so you all will get to share in this journey!

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tim

My 64 330GT (5769) came with sidepull hangers.                                                              Tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tim

My 64 330GT (5769) came with sidepull hangers.                                                              Tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Parker,

According to Francois, what is correct for may car, and earlier cars is the side pull hanger. If you look closely to the pics on 9/23/01 they are a pair of side pulls next to each other.

Francois also says that the finishes for these hangers changed from black to nickel through the years.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Wolfgang Rao

Parker--we met at Concourso--you sold me some ignition cable brackets and grommets I had been looking for--my '63 250 GTE has, according to its extremely retentive log book dating back to 1969, still got its factory exhaust hangers in place--I have pulled the wretched things out to replace them(many were broken)--if they are indeed the originals--they are side pull, not centre, and seem to be black finished and not plated--but also have a pair of rivets at each end with a large flattened head! If it would help solve the ambiguity I'd be happy to send you one for your archives! Wolfgang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Parker

Thanks Wolfgang: Would appreciate having samples of the old hangers. This is really getting complicated. Don't know if I've seen black side pull hangers. Wouldn't it be nice to talk to the Ferrari purchasing agent in 1965.Unfortunately they are all gone or don't remember. Guess all we can do is gather together as much "original" data and try to make sense of what is left. Would you please tell me as much as you know about the original pieces, such as which type of exhaust system was on the car and which type was original on the build sheets. Perhaps the hangers were supplied by the exhaust system manufacturer? I'll be glad to publish whatever comes of it. Thanks!... all the best..Parker &nbsp