Motor rebuild time-options

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Motor rebuild time-options

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Campbell

I would like see what people's thoughts were regarding not using OEM Ferrari pistons and or valves. My mechanic is keen to use a Made in USA forged piston ( I believe the same supplier to NASCAR teams) The motivation for this is not just cost-he feels quality is equal and it has a better ring design. Compression would be 10 to 1. He also makes his own valves out of titanium or stainless. His 4cam V8 and V12 rebuilds have proven strong on the track and reliable/durable for the road with these substitutions. Regarding the valvetrain, My tipo 128F 250 engine has the first series smaller valves. Can I modify the head to accept the later 'big valve'. I have also heard about batches of poor quality 'soft' adjusting screws out there. There are some people using the roller tip adjusting scews-is it a worthwhile conversion? Any advice or tips would be welcome-  Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving  Campbell           &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Motor rebuild time-options

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Campbell,

Isn't it a little early for Thanksgiving? We haven't even made it to Halloween!

I'm all for cheaper/better Ferrari parts as long as the manufacturer stands behind his work! Having to re-do a Ferrari motor can be an expensive proposition especially if there is a failure! Francois has a set of aftermarket pistons he keeps at his shop to show what can happen if things go wrong. He has 11 of these pistons because one of them decided to eject itself out the exhaust!

Stainless steel valves would be great, especially if they are cheaper than the $100+ we pay for EACH Ferrari one! Maybe we can see if other 250 owners would be interested in buying a set to help bring the cost down? Any takers?

Tom  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Greetings....I have pistons made by Arias in my 330 and have had no problems.  When I did the engine a bunch of years ago, I bought Ferrari valves for $1000 a set.  Today I would have them made.  I am using adjuster screws that were made by Bill Rudd-also a bunch of years ago- that have and articulated foot to spread the load over a larger area.  Ferrari valves are quite soft and you can wear a crater in the end of the stems.  Another trick to extend the life of the stems is something called a "lash cap".  Its like a little hat for the end of the stem.  Mine came from Crower Cams.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

Greetings....I have pistons made by Arias in my 330 and have had no problems.  When I did the engine a bunch of years ago, I bought Ferrari valves for $1000 a set.  Today I would have them made.  I am using adjuster screws that were made by Bill Rudd-also a bunch of years ago- that have and articulated foot to spread the load over a larger area.  Ferrari valves are quite soft and you can wear a crater in the end of the stems.  Another trick to extend the life of the stems is something called a "lash cap".  Its like a little hat for the end of the stem.  Mine came from Crower Cams.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I also put in Arias pistons when I rebuilt my 330 engine 18 years ago.  No problems.  My reason was partially price ($75 per vs. $110 per from Ferrari), but also that oversized Ferrari ones weren't available in the states and they would have to be ordered from Italy.  The Arias ones also came with the ring set and wrist pins at no extra cost.  The wrist pins were slightly larger which worked out since the old bushing were just milled out and I didn't need to buy new bushings either.

If anybody wants a set of standard Ferrari pistons for a 330, contact me as they are still sitting on the shelf.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I also put in Arias pistons when I rebuilt my 330 engine 18 years ago.  No problems.  My reason was partially price ($75 per vs. $110 per from Ferrari), but also that oversized Ferrari ones weren't available in the states and they would have to be ordered from Italy.  The Arias ones also came with the ring set and wrist pins at no extra cost.  The wrist pins were slightly larger which worked out since the old bushing were just milled out and I didn't need to buy new bushings either.

If anybody wants a set of standard Ferrari pistons for a 330, contact me as they are still sitting on the shelf.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Adams

Manley Performance  

www.manleyperformance.com

Will make custom valve sets out of either stainless steel or molly coated titainium.  

I got them to make me up a full set of 330 valves ( in stainless ). The cost ? $320.00

At $13/valve vs $70/valve ( shop price ) it was a no brainer.

I almost couldn't believe it :)  I used part of the money I saved to have them X-rayed.

Their "Pro-Flow" profile closley matches the original ferrari undercut.

Now I know where I'm going when its time to "top" the Daytona !

Also, I spent a couple of hours with Henry Velasco of Velasco billet crankshafts in Downey CA, while preping my crank.  Turns out, he has the CNC pattern to make NEW billiet 330/365 cranks.  He showed me one he had made a couple years back.  $3000.00 for a brand new crank.  

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike Adams

Manley Performance  

www.manleyperformance.com

Will make custom valve sets out of either stainless steel or molly coated titainium.  

I got them to make me up a full set of 330 valves ( in stainless ). The cost ? $320.00

At $13/valve vs $70/valve ( shop price ) it was a no brainer.

I almost couldn't believe it :)  I used part of the money I saved to have them X-rayed.

Their "Pro-Flow" profile closley matches the original ferrari undercut.

Now I know where I'm going when its time to "top" the Daytona !

Also, I spent a couple of hours with Henry Velasco of Velasco billet crankshafts in Downey CA, while preping my crank.  Turns out, he has the CNC pattern to make NEW billiet 330/365 cranks.  He showed me one he had made a couple years back.  $3000.00 for a brand new crank.