Tire talk

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Tire talk

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hello All,

It's time for me to think about tires! I've got 15x6 inch rims for my car, and I'm trying to figure out what fits my car? What are other late GTE owners using? Michelin XWXs are not available, and probably too expensive for my budget anyway. Any suggestions?

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Tire talk

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Zac

Hey Tom,
car is looking good. I'm doing all I can not to buy that America on E-bay. as for tires my 69' has it's original Firestones and they are realy good vintage tires with a footprint almost as wide as the xwx's I belive mine are called wide ovals with the small white stripe and are available from www.coker.com
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

Although at first glance Kieth's 330 America on e-bay seems expensive especially when you consider how much an engine rebuild will cost, but if I weren't doing mine, I'd seriously consider it! Don't fool yourself however, it WILL need a rebuild. You won't get away with just a valve job!

Thaks for the tip!

Kerry's Ferrari site also gave some good tips.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

Although at first glance Kieth's 330 America on e-bay seems expensive especially when you consider how much an engine rebuild will cost, but if I weren't doing mine, I'd seriously consider it! Don't fool yourself however, it WILL need a rebuild. You won't get away with just a valve job!

Thaks for the tip!

Kerry's Ferrari site also gave some good tips.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hi Tom

Ah! that's where the dilema lies Engine builds are what I do and the cost to me is minimal the problem for me is getting rid of any number of my eight million other projects before I tackle another one
Have Fun working on Your project this winter I hope Your shop is heated!!!!!!!
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hi Tom

Ah! that's where the dilema lies Engine builds are what I do and the cost to me is minimal the problem for me is getting rid of any number of my eight million other projects before I tackle another one
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Hi Tom

Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Not sure about your America.... the only "correct" tire for my 330GTS is a michelin 205VR14 from coker (82 series, not the 205/70VR14 they also carry).

But these tires are huge doughnuts that tend to rub the front wheel openings on freeway on-ramps when installed on many 330s.  I had to move the the wheel openings back a little to clear them!

On the plus side, they are so tall and skinny that it's easy to have fun in low-speed corners.  Maybe too easy.

I wonder if the tire rack or other internet-enabled outlet would have anything modern in a 15" 65 or 70 series with about 200mm tread width???
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by tim

If memory serves correctly, the originals were Pirelli Cinturatos.  With the 6inch wheels, the size should be 195-15.  Your car pre-dates the low profile tires so the aspect ratio should be 82.  I don't know of anyone making the old Pirellis and would go with (and have on my car) the Michelin XWX's from Coker. Pricey but are you to that "might as well" stage yet?  Some one once told me when looking at an older Ferrari and it doesn't have XWX's, what else did they cut corners on.                             As always, glad to spend your money, Tim
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane, and Tim,

Right now XWXs for my car are NOT available for my car from Coker. I'm sure someone has a set in the world, but at over $250 a piece, when available, how much can used ones be?!? If anyone has a set of 205-15s, and would like to donate them to my restoration... ;-)

I know they're not the stickiest rubber made, but look right for the car.

It's kind of strange that later cars stuck witht he 14 inch wheels, while my car came with the 15s.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane, and Tim,

Right now XWXs for my car are NOT available for my car from Coker. I'm sure someone has a set in the world, but at over $250 a piece, when available, how much can used ones be?!? If anyone has a set of 205-15s, and would like to donate them to my restoration... ;-)

I know they're not the stickiest rubber made, but look right for the car.

It's kind of strange that later cars stuck witht he 14 inch wheels, while my car came with the 15s.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

I've got people contacting me all the time looking for projects! Are any of these Ferraris?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

I've got people contacting me all the time looking for projects! Are any of these Ferraris?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Zac,

Tom