Tom's Stebro Exhaust

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Tom's Stebro Exhaust

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

Tom, I noticed on your 10/21/01 installment that the exhaust came unpainted and without the red striping separating the polished tips from the stainless sections.  Since my Stebro pieces will allegedly arrive this Thursday, do the assembled scholars have any recommendations re: correct/preferred black paint for the exhaust.  I remember the red taping issue being discussed many months ago.
thanks,
Bryan
wwwboard

Re: Tom's Stebro Exhaust

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi  Bryan,

I actually started painting the exhaust yesterday, but forgot to take pictures! I'm using a Wurth high temp black paint. It dries semi-gloss black. I've noticed some systems painted in a wrinkle finish, but Francois says ordinary wrinkle paint will burn off, and the good stuff is hard to find.

Make sure you wipe the whole system down with laquer thinner before you paint, because everything is covered with a light layer of oil. I also used a coarse scotchbright pad to scuff the surface of the stainless so the paint would have a fighting chance of sticking.

My next dilema is to fabricate the heat shields that mount between the mufflers and the floorpans. Kerry's site shows this process pretty well.

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Tom's Stebro Exhaust

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Steve Muzekari

If you really want the paint to stay on you may want to have the exhaust powder coated black. I know Timevalve systems come this way. One thing you can count on -you will get that great Ferrari sound either way !

good Luck,

Steve