Sealing a gas tank

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Sealing a gas tank

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

As Tom suggested (demanded!) I am starting the process of removing my gas tank.  Once I get it out, I need to decide if I can seal it myself, or if it is worse than it looks, send it out.  Eastwood has tank sealing products that seem pretty good.  Has anybody used them?  Any other suggestions?
wwwboard

Re: Sealing a gas tank

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Yang

Hi Tom,

Sorry about the "demand" to pull your gastank, but I guess some of Francois is rubbing off on me! I gaurentee you'll be satisfied when it's all done right, and you won't be chasing problems in the future!

I'm glad the filter thing worked out.

The few points I have to make on the Eastwood product are:

1. with the short piece of chain they give you to knock the loose rust off with, how strong are you? Shaking that gastank to get that chain moving around in there will take some serious effort. I guess I'm not Macho enough!

2. How rusty is the inside of the tank? The Eastwood stuff is probably fine for light rust.

3. The new stuff that's the "cat's ass" is this red "aviation sealer." Some of the cream-white stuff used 10 years ago reacted with the alchohol in reformulated fuels. I'm sure Eastwood reformulated their stuff to work too! (I hope)

4. Make sure if you "farm it out" that whoever does it, does a better job than you can at home! Ask them how they're going to get the loose rust off, and what kind of sealer they use. Do they know if it will work with reformulated gasoline? If they can't answer your questions, you might as well do it yourself.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

check your local radiator shops I know several around here that do it for about the same cost as the eastwood kit they also have the large hot tanks used for the radiators that seem to be perfect for gas tanks.
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

check your local radiator shops I know several around here that do it for about the same cost as the eastwood kit they also have the large hot tanks used for the radiators that seem to be perfect for gas tanks.
Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Lee

You might look into this: www.gastankrenu.com  They advertise in Hemmings and have been around a while. I think their service is a type of replating, and is probably more durable than sloshing. Their phone is (800) 997-3688.

Good Luck.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Lee

Check www.gas-tank.com/bike.htm for a detailed explanation of the process. I think this is a far superior solution than sloshing.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Lee

Check www.gas-tank.com/bike.htm for a detailed explanation of the process. I think this is a far superior solution than sloshing.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

Sounds like I have a lot of options to consider.  Gas Tank USA, suggested by Lee, has an impressive process described on their website.  They say that no product will stick to rust, which if true, makes the Eastwood chain deruster sound rather ineffective.  The price is higher ($150-300) and I assume would increase significantly with shipping.  Zac suggested a radiator repair shop.  This would be local, so no shipping and I could talk to the owners.  Sounds like more research is in order.  Of course, I still have to get the tank out...

By the way, Tom, no hard feelings on the "demands".  Most of the stuff I have done on the car started as a "light cleaning" and ended as a total rebuild.  I usually find more than I had bargained for and am glad to have gone the extra step.  Besides, the reason I am on this site is to borrow the experience of those of you who have learned the hard way!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom Wilson

A little further research on the internet shows that Gas Tank RENU-USA is a franchise and has shops all over the place, including Los Angeles, where I live.  Coincidently, all three local franchisees are radiator shops, so I can take both Lee's and Zac's advice simultaneously!

I will report back when I have visited these shops.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bill

One Comment about the "RENU" process.
They guarantee it for life if you let them coat the OUTSIDE of your tank with a similar mixture as they do on the inside.
In my case, I am building a show car and dont want that.
Just so you have the whole story.