400i

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 400i

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jon Gasper

Since neither the 400i or 412 were factory US legal, all legalization was done by independent facilities. The quality can vary widely. Be sure the car has all the EPA/DOT paperwork. If you are unsure or if your questions are not thoroughly and completely answered, walk away. There are plenty around and they are not fast selling vehicles.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Ashburne

I've owned a 1983 400i 5 speed for 3 1/2 years and have a lot of fun with it.  Like most 2+2 Ferraris, they are underrated.

They are cheap to purchase (by Ferrari standards) but maintainance is as expensive as for any of the other V12s costing 2-3 times as much to purchase.  Because of this, many have not had proper maintainance.  A thorough pre-purchase inspection by a knowledgeable expert is absolutely critical to make sure that there are no expensive surprises waiting for you.  Contact me if you have any questions.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew Goalen

Rori,

as soon as i get 10 mins to myself I'll send some of the notes on my car to you.

Andrew

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Peter de Gouw

I have been running a 5 speed 412 for almost 4 years.
My advice is to buy the best you can find with all the bits and pieces working. Everything is expensive to fix.  Parts are sometimes hard because the model is unloved by many. Take your time to get a good one.
On the otherhand don't be fooled by the supercar image. These cars are build strong and simple in most area's (certainly the 365). You can work on the normal stuff yourself. It is the ABS, engine management, etc that i stay away from.

(although the car is not widely recognised in many ways it shares components and design with the whole line before it incl. the Daytona).

I really love the car. You can drive it without being noticed to mauch, providing you get the right colour.  It is fast, predictable and in my eyes one of the most beautifull cars ever build.

I also drive it regular on a racetrack and will never be the fastest on the track but have real good fun. The handling is very well balanced although the car is heavy. A 328 will be faster on a track but a lott more tricky to handle.

On the open road it does pull 260 km/hour and feels rock solid (I live near Germany :-)

The dual Airco should help in warm climates (makes sure both work Front and Rear).

Suspension setup at the rear is hydraulic and make sure it works. Parts are troublesome.

The TRX tires on the 412 are very expensive and not as good as some of the normal size alternatives on a 365/400.

The 412 is better build than the previous models. The 5 speed can be driven like an auto due to the power of the engine at any speed. (it will pull from 35 mph in 5th).

Make sure you get the manuals for the car. That does help when you need to fix something.

If you need some further advice let me know.

If you know of anyone breaking for parts. I need some airco parts badly.