Wheel Centres - 330 GTC

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Wheel Centres - 330 GTC

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Ean McDowell

Has any-one successfully removed the polished trim from around the wheel centre on a 330 GTC (or other Ferrari with knock-off alloy wheels)? I want to paint my wheels and need to remove the trim without damage. Levering it off is going to bend it I am sure. Is the trim chrome plated or stainless steel? It is difficult to tell whilst it is in place.

Regards and thanks,

Ean
wwwboard

Re: Wheel Centres - 330 GTC

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Ean,

It's chromed steel, and a pretty thin piece of steel. I'll see if there's a trick, and let you know.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I've removed the trim rings on my 330 GT successfully.  They are steel that is chromed.

I ended up making a tool from a stiff putty knife (1½" or 2" wide) by cutting it off and then grinding an arc matching the inside diameter of the trim ring.  You want the length of the blade to be a little longer than the distance from the outside to the inside of the trim ring.  Then I bent it enough to allow the handle to clear the bump in the wheel.  Be sure to get one where the metal is embedded in the handle or it will break.  Also grind a knife edge on the arc.  I'll post a picture if I can find it.

Using one of the tips of the tool, work it under the trim ring as far as you can.  You may have to tap it with a hammer to get it started.  Be sure you start in between the hub bolts (look on the inside of the wheel to locate them).  Then you carefully pry up.  Work around the center and keep doing this.  Once the ring comes up slightly, you can get the tool over one of the hub bolts and get more leverage.  Go slowly (it takes ~½ hour per ring) as these are easily bent.  You might consider removing the paint with paint remover from the center first.  This will eliminate some of the resistance.

Good luck and remember to go slowly.  This is clearly a case where haste makes waste.

For installation, I just used a piece of oak wood that I cut to match the inner diameter.  Then I simply tapped the ring in place using the oak like a punch, going round and round the center several times.  The oak is solid enough but won't mar the newly chromed surface.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Smith

If you have problems removing these and need replacements, Parker Hall has them available.  I recently received a set from him and they look great.  Good luck.
wwwboard

Tool Picture

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

I found the tool.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Howard Pigdon

Ean  -- can tell you how to do a Daytona and i dont imagine it would be that different
Ring me if you havent done it yet
Howard 20-48771496