Chrome Replater Needed

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Chrome Replater Needed

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David P. Smith

I am geting close to being ready to send the exterior chrome; bumpers, headlight rims, door handles, etc. out for rechroming.  Where should they go?  There are numerous ads in Hemmings every month.  Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations?  Are there really different levels of plating that I should consider and how scary are the prices?  Thanks for any help.
wwwboard

Re: Chrome Replater Needed

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi David,

The chrome plater I used is in semi retirement, so I can't really offer him as a reliable source!

Don't be fooled by "triple chrome." There is really only one layer of chrome. The triple layer are copper, nickel, and chrome. How well EACH layer is applied will determine how good the chrome will look along with the preparation of the base metal.

Go to car shows, and ask the restorers who they used. Everybody has a different idea of "show chrome," so look for the quality that you can live with, and see if you can afford it. Compromise your quality for savings in price.

I would also ask to see examples of the platers work in person. Pictures do not show chrome platinng very well. Look for grind marks that are not buffed out. Excellent Chrome should look as clear as a mirror, with no discoloration, or pitting. The copper layer is the one used for filling all the inperfection in the base metal. It's a tedious process, but that is why a bumper can cost $1000 bucks to chrome!  

Good luck, and if you find a good plater, do share!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bernard

Call Christenson in Los Angeles. The last time i called them, the no. was; 323-585-8730. they do Pebble Beach quality work and are not cheap as Tom has mentioned good work cost money. Well worth it. Bernard
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

I have used Chromemasters, in Nashville,Tn. They do excellent work. Their # is 615-256-9828.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John in Ct

Carbon County Chrome in Milford, Ct offers realy great quality and can be reached at 203 874 8833. The owners name is Gabe, figure two months turn-around and alot of money especially if base material is corroded and rough. Gabe does Pebble Beach quality but you may have noticed there's an awful lot of millionaires at PB.....

Good luck,

John in CT