Hows is the Boxer looking?, David Haney

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Hows is the Boxer looking?, David Haney

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Pete

Just had a look through the Owner's Gallery and came across your Boxer, and just wondered what it looks and drives like now.

I read something about the engine and gearbox being refreshed and it looks like you were painting it.

Pete
wwwboard

Re: Hows is the Boxer looking?, David Haney

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

Pete, thanks for asking. I dismantled the car and stripped it to bare metal, and removed most of the interior, then had a local paint shop do the exterior in all red Glasurit. I sent the flat dash, and front dash to Coach Trim to be recovered in black ultra-suede, then re-dyed the seats and other panels. The wool carpets are very nice and will be kept. I shipped the car to Norwoods in Dallas, after purchasing it, for a gear box and motor overhaul last year. I really like the way the car looks now that it is all over red. The car should be finished in about 6 weeks. Thanks, DH
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Pete

Yes, I think they look better all red also. Love to see some new photos when finished.

When I used to be around 18 I used to flag marshal at the local race track on classic car days (and others) and the highlight was the 2 Boxers that used to race. Used to really kick Porsche butts. Unfortunately you don't see them exerised like that anymore ... too expensive, etc. I guess.

Pete
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Pete

Yes, I think they look better all red also. Love to see some new photos when finished.

When I used to be around 18 I used to flag marshal at the local race track on classic car days (and others) and the highlight was the 2 Boxers that used to race. Used to really kick Porsche butts. Unfortunately you don't see them exerised like that anymore ... too expensive, etc. I guess.

Pete
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

Pete, I'll get some photos up real soon, I have taken them all the way through. DH
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

Pete, I'll get some photos up real soon, I have taken them all the way through. DH
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Frank R. Masiarz

Hi.........

Nice to see a person "tackle" a Boxer !!  Hope all goes well with the restoration.  How did you strip the body to bare metal ??  Have been pondering the methods for my car...S/N 23005.

Good luck !!

Frank.........
www.masiarz.net/bb_resource
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Frank R. Masiarz

Hi.........

Nice to see a person "tackle" a Boxer !!  Hope all goes well with the restoration.  How did you strip the body to bare metal ??  Have been pondering the methods for my car...S/N 23005.

Good luck !!

Frank.........
www.masiarz.net/bb_resource
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

Frank, the best chemical stripper I could find, is "Aircraft Remover" produced by the Klean-Strip Co. It is at most of the discount auto supply houses, and costs about $38.00/gallon. The Boxer is really pretty easy to dismantle, especially if you have a lift. My car had previous crash damage, so I reworked the drivers side door frame, and hinge post, and re skinned the door. All mostly elbow grease, and the TIG welder came in handy, too. Once the car was down to bare metal, and bare fiberglass, a friend of mine did the paint work with the Glasurit base,clear. The car is now all over red, and looks magnificent. I should be finished in about 6 weeks. I removed the dash and am having it recovered in black ulta-suede at CoachTrim LLC, in Stamford, Ct.  I will be glad to send you some photo's if you like. David Haney
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney

Frank, the best chemical stripper I could find, is "Aircraft Remover" produced by the Klean-Strip Co. It is at most of the discount auto supply houses, and costs about $38.00/gallon. The Boxer is really pretty easy to dismantle, especially if you have a lift. My car had previous crash damage, so I reworked the drivers side door frame, and hinge post, and re skinned the door. All mostly elbow grease, and the TIG welder came in handy, too. Once the car was down to bare metal, and bare fiberglass, a friend of mine did the paint work with the Glasurit base,clear. The car is now all over red, and looks magnificent. I should be finished in about 6 weeks. I removed the dash and am having it recovered in black ulta-suede at CoachTrim LLC, in Stamford, Ct.  I will be glad to send you some photo's if you like. David Haney
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by David Haney