Drive Line Vibration

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Drive Line Vibration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

My 330GT has a drive line vibration in certain gears (mostly 4th and overdrive), and at certain rpms, (mostly around 4000) but not in other gears at this rpm. I know others have written to this esteemed list about this problem and have gone so far as to rebuild their drive shafts without solving this issue.

Some folks have said, "that different cars have different harmonic resonaces, that's just the way it is." Others say, "it can't be in your drive shaft because it doesn't happen in all gears or when you depress the clutch so it must be a motor issue/problem," and others remark, that Ferrari later went to a 2 motor mount system instead of the 4 mounts as on my car because this is a general, across the model (330GT) issue.

Any thoughts about any of this from the four wheel brethren out there? I would most appreciate any comments you have.

Thank you.

Yale &nbsp
wwwboard

Re: Drive Line Vibration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by RP

Yale, the correlation between the times when the vibration occurs and which gear you are in is not the issue.  A drive line vibration will happen at a specific road speed or range.  You should be able to test this by getting up to the speed at which the vibration happens and then selecting another gear and maintaining the same road speed.  If you still get the vibration then we are taking about a driveline imbalance of some sort.  If this is the case then the Yellow pages in your area probably have some entries in the category of Driveshafts.  Pick one which works with larger vehicles - trucks specifically.  Have them dynamically balance yours, (yes you have to take it out for that to happen). It could have been damaged, could have thrown a balancing plate, or was out of balance from the start.  Once you have a validated balanced drive shaft and you still have the vibration then you can start looking for more exotic causes, U-joints at incipient failure, worn pinion bearing etc.

wwwboard

New Question - Drive Line noise

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Aaron

I also had a question regarding driveline – On my C4; I have a groaning noise that occurs at speeds above 75 MPH. It is not loud, and was probably masked by exhaust noise before I change out the mufflers – although I have not ruled out some sort of exhaust resonance as the source.

The noise gets louder and quieter at about 1 cycle per second. I believe the frequency increases as speed increases.  I have no unusual vibration, just the noise.  I recently replaced the wheel bearings on the passenger side but have not yet replaced them on the driver side. The noise is definitely coming from the back of the car.  I do not have much experience with bad constant velocity joints, or failing differentials, or failing bearings in independent suspension spindle housings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Aaron

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John Vardanian

Someone I know of bought a Lusso a couple of years ago with a 275 engine.  The engine generated hormonic vibration in a certain rpm band.  After much deliberation, and wasted time and money, the problem was traced to a certain bushing in the engine, but I am not sure of the specifics.

Contact Russ at Fantasy Junction and refer to the black Lusso he sold a couple of years ago with the 275 motor, and ask him what exactly was done to solve the vibration problem.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Oye. I know that this was what some mechanics thought could be the issue since they didn't feel the vibration when the clutch was depressed. However Francoise replaced all the engine bushings so I can only hope to think that this won't be my problem. Thanks for the thought though.

Since it seems that removing the driveshaft is a good sized deal I thought I would live with the vibration for now and deal with it when the clutch needs to be replaced. I will keep you all posted. Yale
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Oye. I know that this was what some mechanics thought could be the issue since they didn't feel the vibration when the clutch was depressed. However Francoise replaced all the engine bushings so I can only hope to think that this won't be my problem. Thanks for the thought though.

Since it seems that removing the driveshaft is a good sized deal I thought I would live with the vibration for now and deal with it when the clutch needs to be replaced. I will keep you all posted. Yale