Trim removal?

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Trim removal?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Hi Y'all,

Can anyone out there tell me how to remove the long skinny piece of shiny (stainless?) trim that runs on the body, below the doors, between the wheel arches, on my 330?  I have a small dent that needs fixing.

TIA,

Deane
wwwboard

Re: Trim removal?

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Kerry

First, let's say carefully.

It is stainless steel (as I was told when I wanted mine chromed many years ago).  If it is the same as on my 2+2, there are studs at each end just inside of the wheel arches.  After removing the nuts, the rest is held on by clips that fit onto a flange that extends horizontally into the strip from the body.  There are 8 clips less any that broke off on previous removals.  Careful prying using stiff wide putty knife should remove it safely.  Slide the knife under the strip at the end and then move it down until you find the first clip, pry out to free it and repeat.  Unless you have a helper to hold the free end, I would work from both ends to the middle to prevent paint damage.

Replacement clips are available from Ferrari UK parts.  They aren't quite like the original, but you can see them on the right in the picture.  The wings fit into the trim strip and the center clips onto the flange on the car.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Thanks!  Sounds like I'd better think real hard before taking the tiny-dented trim off my shiny paint.

Deane
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane

Thanks!  Sounds like I'd better think real hard before taking the tiny-dented trim off my shiny paint.

Deane