Period-Correct Auto Battery

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jim

Period-Correct Auto Battery

Post by Jim »

I know Tom is aware of what I am about to discuss; but, I am unsure if it has been presented on his forum. If the following is redundant, I apologize.

I have been frustrated with tar top lead acid batteries, with poor service and potential for acid corrosion.

For the last several years, I have equipped my modern cars with Odyssey Batteries, which I find superior. However, since the battery case is bright orange with a black top, it isn't appealing in our Ferrari engine compartments. Odyssey uses a proprietary Thin Plate Pure Lead technology. By this, the batteries are dry, sealed units, and maintenance-free. It is my understanding that these batteries show superior performance: life expectancy of 8-10 years, at least, able to withstand cycling and deep discharges better, which is attributable to the "pure lead" used in the manufacture. The batteries are not cheap, and run between $200 and $300, depending on the vehicle. I'm currently running them in a '95 Landcruiser, '06 Lexus, and a '06 Honda Pilot. Since the standard, modern, maintenance-free battery in my 330GTS is 7 yrs old, I felt it was at end-of-life, only surviving because of a trickle charger. I was afraid it would fail on me any day I take the car for a drive. So, I contacted Odyssey, and they referred me to Antique Auto Battery (http://www.antiqueautobattery.com). They license Odyssey's Thin Plate Pure Lead technology, and place it in a replica tar top battery case (see picture below. Thanks Tom). I just received a battery from them for my 330GTS, sans decals, which Parker Hall will supply. The cost was $260 (no sales tax) + $49 shipping, for a total of $314. BTW, these batteries are shipped UPS. It's a perfect fit and spot-on replica, with the expected performance of Odyssey's technology. My battery looks exactly like the one in the picture below.

Take care,

Jim

Antique Auto Battery
email: info@antiqueautobattery.com
(800) 4226-7580

Odyssey Batteries
odesseybattery@enersys.com
(800) 538-3627
Attachments
mail-1.jpeg
mail-1.jpeg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 27967 times
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
todaxyz

Re: Period-Correct Auto Battery

Post by todaxyz »

Thanks for sharing this info. Will keep it in mind when I need to replace my battery.

Tom
'67 330 GTC
peterp

Post by peterp »

Thanks for sharing Jim. These look great. Do you know what model Oddyssey battery is inside the case?
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm not sure that a specific Odyssey battery model is inside the Antique Auto Battery case. At least I don't know. Perhaps Odyssey or Antique Battery know. What I do know is that uses Odyssey's proprietary technology. Generically, it's an Odyssey battery with a different case.
Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567