Tires

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdempsey

Tires

Post by mdempsey »

I need a sampling of who is doing what with tires on their 2+2. My new set of wheels are nearly done for the trip to Canada and I am looking for direction. I know a lot of you all are using Pirelli P4000. I was told they had been replaced with the new P4. But that is a totally different tire. Love the look of the XWX but am told that it is deadly in the wet. Thanks

Last trip to Canada the exchange rate was like 1.30 Canadian. It was like everything was on sale all the time. Little different this trip would appear!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

FWIW, I put Sumitomos on my GTC...probably heresy, but it's a driver. I don't (knowingly) drive it in the rain, so can't tell you much there. From Tire Rack. steve meltzer "unencumbered by the thought process"
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
whturner

Post by whturner »

Hi MIke:

Ran across a test of the modern XWX's on the following Mangusta site: He loves them.

http://www.mangustainternational.com/te ... .php?id=43

Also, I can personally vouch for his comments about the Avon tire which I have on my car - temporarily.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
Yale

Post by Yale »

whturner wrote:Hi MIke:

Ran across a test of the modern XWX's on the following Mangusta site: He loves them.

http://www.mangustainternational.com/te ... .php?id=43

Also, I can personally vouch for his comments about the Avon tire which I have on my car - temporarily.

Cheers
Warren
Hmm, Maybe that guy just spent $2000 on a set of tires and had to like them. For one I found the XWX's to be A LOT harsher riding then the Pirelli's. As for cornering, on a track they heat up and loose grip. As for wet weather use, if you are driving in you Ferrari and it's raining hard I find you are spending a lot more time figureing out how to see out of totally fogged up windows, maybe that is why I had no wet weather issues with the XWX's as I was just focusing on not hitting something. They really look great though.

Best,

Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Should I go to heaven, may my last ride be on Pirellis.
Should I go to hell, Michelins will do just fine.

I plan on bringing a tire gauge though...

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

Sorry, Rudy, but I often miss subtilties.

You like the Pirellis and not michelins?

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
tyang

Post by tyang »

Different cars require different tires. On a Vintage Ferrari, I've found the Pirellis to work well. Tom Wilson and I drove through some heavy rain on the way down to the Fall Party, and I never felt the tires aqua planing, but I've heard of plenty of stories of slippery tires in the wet with XWXs. Perhaps the new rubber compounds are doing a better job with the Michelins, but I personally would not take the chance.

There's not much choice when looking for a 70+ series tire. Verdestiens and Avons have been suggested, but I was too cheap to look into these makes.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053

Post by 8339 »

Well I guess I'll throw in two cents. One of my customers told me a long time ago to put street Michelins on my 330GT 2+2. He was correct they have similar look, they are only H rated which is good for 130 mph and they ride so much better than XWXs. How often will any of these vinatge Ferraris go over 130, and if they do it's only for short time. I have been very happy with the Michelin Pilots for many years now. The only down side is the concours judge who wants to take points away for the "wrong" tires.
Yale

Post by Yale »

8339 wrote:Well I guess I'll throw in two cents. One of my customers told me a long time ago to put street Michelins on my 330GT 2+2. He was correct they have similar look, they are only H rated which is good for 130 mph and they ride so much better than XWXs. How often will any of these vinatge Ferraris go over 130, and if they do it's only for short time. I have been very happy with the Michelin Pilots for many years now. The only down side is the concours judge who wants to take points away for the "wrong" tires.
What Pilots are those? I don't see any Pilots at 205 70 15's or 215 70 15's listed at Tire Rack. Yale
Ex - 1964 330GT #6097
1963 Abarth Monomille
1970 Porsche 911S
1974 BMW 2002turbo
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Tom Wal,

Yes, I much prefer the Pirellis over the harsher Michelins.
Just my own preference.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705
t walgamuth

Post by t walgamuth »

YOu guys don't know how easy you have it. I love the look of the tall 16" tires on my pf but the choice of tires is abominable!

I have cross ply avons on it now but am wishing for the opportunity to go to a modern constrcution steel belt radial.

Tom W
tom walgamuth
pf coupe #1421
whturner

Post by whturner »

Hi Yale:

I had to look at the "Specs" listed for a tire rather than the nominal size to make any comparison.

The current 215/(HR/VR)65 catagory by many makers seem to be the closest to the original XWX dimensions. As listed by Coker, the XWX 205/70 was 26.5 in diameter, 8.3 in section width.
I ended up, due to the good test results, with the Yokohama Avid H4S which are 26.2 diameter, 8.9 section width, which is close to the eye in size. The slight extra section width does not rub on mine.

There are also other tires wich are also pretty close - A V rated tire is the Dumlop 215/65VR15, 26.1 Diameter and 8.7 section width.

"And for something completely different" check out the Kumho Ecsta DX Aroma tire. It is a Lavendar scented!!! All Season Grand Touring tire.

Cheers
Warren
330 GT Series II sn 10069
mdempsey

Post by mdempsey »

OK I went with the P4000s. It helped make my decision when my wife overheard that the XWX s rode like pooh and cost almost 500 each. FYI it appears they are discontinued. They can still be had from big on line stores like tire rack. I had to pay a little extra because the closest waehouse that still had them was in Louisiana. 215 70 15. Will let everyone know how they ride after the ride to Canada.
TOMKIZER

Post by TOMKIZER »

Mark, are you going to have yours judged or just put it on display? I'm going for the judging just to find out how much I have left to do to get mine right (whatever "right" is). To that end, I'll be looking for advice and criticism from all you 2+2 owners. I'm also looking forward to meeting a bunch of you Vintage Ferrari Owners.

I'm running XWXs that still have plenty of tread left but are getting a little long in the tooth as far as age goes. I can vouch for the fact that they ride "hard", but I can't assess their capability in the wet. I just got quoted $800 each and 12 weeks wait (probably optimistic and maybe "never") for a new set of XWXs. Vredestein Sprint Classics will be available here in Québec next year. They're cheaper and at least look right. I've heard they're better than XWXs. As for the P4000s, the only thing I don't like is the large, raised P4000 on the sidewalls.

I really wish there was a single place where I could see who's going to Toronto. Is there a place for people to "sign up" informally so we'll all know who'll be there?

Tom Kizer
So many sidewalk cafés - so little time left.
1969 365 GT 2+2 S/N 12293 (Gone but not forgotten)
1967 230 SL 4-spd (Currently on CPR)
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Tom K.

Perhaps start a new thread "Toronto Bound."

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
1966 330 GT s/n 8705