P1020259.JPG (159.98 KiB) Viewed 18120 times
P1020275.JPG
P1020275.JPG (238.32 KiB) Viewed 18120 times
P1020274.JPG
P1020274.JPG (204.23 KiB) Viewed 18120 times
Alberto

Re: Horn Detailing

Post by Alberto »

So above pictures show that the horn bracket is date stamped the same as the compressor, black wrinkle for the horn bases. All of the rest seem to match what is in this thread. It seems like the brass or copper thread is welded onto the horn metal, whatever it is.

I am particularly interested in information on the following:

1. The color for the other horn bases shown here are silver. It this black wrinkle in correct (although I must say that it looks factory original). Are they both correct and it just depends on what was ordered by the (car) factory?

2. What have others done to overcome the pitting on the horn themselves? I can't paint it like it is, it's way too pitted. High build primer perhaps, then paint?

3. Can I solder the horn to smooth out a small ding one of them has without melting the horn base metal?

Thanks.
Alberto
carello

Post by carello »

Alberto wrote:So above pictures show that the horn bracket is date stamped the same as the compressor, black wrinkle for the horn bases. All of the rest seem to match what is in this thread. It seems like the brass or copper thread is welded onto the horn metal, whatever it is. I am particularly interested in information on the following:
1. The color for the other horn bases shown here are silver. It this black wrinkle in correct (although I must say that it looks factory original). Are they both correct and it just depends on what was ordered by the (car) factory?
2. What have others done to overcome the pitting on the horn themselves? I can't paint it like it is, it's way too pitted. High build primer perhaps, then paint?
3. Can I solder the horn to smooth out a small ding one of them has without melting the horn base metal?
Thanks. Alberto
According to my research - which remains quite extensive and ongoing -
1)From 1960(and probably before) thru the end 1968, there were never any wrinkle black Roadmaster trumpet bases. They were all hammertone silver, no special exceptions.
Roadmaster compressors - a different story. The 705 MC/1 you show is , of course, always, no matter what the application, matching hammertone silver. Zinc bracket, zinc screw, zinc nut, red plastic 710, black baklite base, blue/green power wire, black ground wire with large ring terminal.

2) You can chuck these trumpets in a lathe and sand out the pits on the outside to a final spun finish of 320 grit. you may need 180 to start the process of actully sanding out pits. Maybe take to machine shop and have them do this. These trumpets are quite delicate and can be F'd up on the id tapered thread end pretty quick.
or
high build primer, 320 spun finish, silver chrome base coat.

3) i dont think you can lead or solder the alloy trumpets with success
The required "look" on the red trumpets is "candy translucent red over clean bright silver alloy" . I find the spun finish to my liking. If you polish the alloy trumpets to hi gloss, prior to paint, it seems to create an odd dark finish for me.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Craig
DiabloSE30JOTA

Post by DiabloSE30JOTA »

Hi,
I have an Aston Martin DBS V8 also with Fiamm horns!
Here is a picture of the horn part?
Does somebody know if the horn of model "2000" are red anodized? or eventuelly only red coated?
I still restore the horn but now i saw this thread and i don´t know if it was painted or coated.. :(

How can i buy the red tube? Some old links were delete.

Best Regards

Leo
DiabloSE30JOTA

Post by DiabloSE30JOTA »

Sorry the name is Fiamm TA/C Sport "2000"
DiabloSE30JOTA

Post by DiabloSE30JOTA »

Hey,
My Aston Martin DBS V8 has also Fiamm airhorns.My model is "Tipo TA/C SPORT SERIE "2000".
Does somebody know if the horns are original also red anodized?
I repainted it in "normal" red, i don´t saw or know that the horns are anodized!
How can i buy the red hose for the horns?

Best Regards from Germany

Leo
peterp

Post by peterp »

I am in the process of restoring my horns. They are original but at some point someone painted them black. A photo of them is below. I saw earlier in the thread a discussion about the horn body (not trumpet) being painted hammer tone. There was no trace of paint under the black on mine, so I'm pretty sure they never had paint originally. I do see candy apple under the black on the horns, but no paint on they body. I would like to confirm that the horn body shouldn't have paint.

Below is a picture of original hose. I can confirm that they are very slightly translucent, though they look opaque installed:

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
peterp

Post by peterp »

DiabloSE30JOTA wrote:Hey,

How can i buy the red hose for the horns?
The ebay link below looks like it might be close. It's 7mm ID, 12mm OD. According to a post early in this tread, factory Fiamm hose is 7mm ID, 10.75mm OD, so the one on ebay is a little thicker. Also, official hose is very slightly translucent, but to my eye it's a lot more opaque than translucent so it would be difficult to tell the difference with the opaque red eBay hose. I haven't tried it, so I have no idea about the quality, heat resistance, etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7mm-ID-Silicone ... ec&vxp=mtr
Peter P
tyang

Post by tyang »

peterp wrote:I am in the process of restoring my horns. They are original but at some point someone painted them black. A photo of them is below. I saw earlier in the thread a discussion about the horn body (not trumpet) being painted hammer tone. There was no trace of paint under the black on mine, so I'm pretty sure they never had paint originally. I do see candy apple under the black on the horns, but no paint on they body. I would like to confirm that the horn body shouldn't have paint.

Below is a picture of original hose. I can confirm that they are very slightly translucent, though they look opaque installed:

I believe these horn bodies were hammertone unless someone with a SII 330 sees otherwise.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
peterp

Post by peterp »

tyang wrote:
I believe these horn bodies were hammertone unless someone with a SII 330 sees otherwise.

Tom
Thanks Tom. It's weird because there is no trace of hammer tone paint (and the prior flat black painting of the horns was crudely done, so it doesn't look like they did any prep). I searched images quite a bit and most have hammer tone and a couple look like unpainted aluminum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... aster.html) - but maybe the hammer tone paint chipped off those and mine.

The thread below says the hammer tone was applied after assembly (meaning screws and all were painted). Is this true? (it doesn't sound right to me):

(Lancia's post, third from the top): http://ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-th ... print.html

Is there a recommended paint for the hammer tone? The DupliColor MC200 John recommended was absolutely perfect for the horns (I left part of the inside of one horn original to compare colors while painting and it's a perfect match).

Peter
Peter P
tyang

Post by tyang »

peterp wrote:
tyang wrote:

Tom
Thanks Tom. It's weird because there is no trace of hammer tone paint (and the prior flat black painting of the horns was crudely done, so it doesn't look like they did any prep). I searched images quite a bit and most have hammer tone and a couple look like unpainted aluminum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... aster.html) - but maybe the hammer tone paint chipped off those and mine.

The thread below says the hammer tone was applied after assembly (meaning screws and all were painted). Is this true? (it doesn't sound right to me):

(Lancia's post, third from the top): http://ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-th ... print.html

Is there a recommended paint for the hammer tone? The DupliColor MC200 John recommended was absolutely perfect for the horns (I left part of the inside of one horn original to compare colors while painting and it's a perfect match).

Peter
It's very possible the hammertone was applied after assembly considering how the diaphragm has to go together. I'll have to look for a horn that I know has never been apart.

I have not done a lot of hammertone to notice a difference nor have a preference from one brand to the next.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Come to Santa Fe, the Low Rider Country.

Every auto parts place has any Candy Whatever you could ever imagine.

Well, maybe Espanola has an even better selection.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
peterp

Post by peterp »

I ended up using Rustoleum Hammered paint (available at Home Depot). They have it in both gray and silver - I bought both and silver turned out to be an exact match. There was no original hammer tone paint on the body, but I found some on the hose nipple to match against (so I guess that proves my horns were originally painted after all). I guess that also proves that the bodies were originally painted with nipples installed. The Rustoleum paint lays down really nicely for rattle can paint. It's necessary to put on in fairly heavy coats to get the hammer effect -- and it's still pretty subtle even with thick coats.

This first picture below is with flash so it's easier to compare the new paint with the old on the nipple.

This is without flash which better reflects the actual color:

The original hose is still quite pliable, so I kept that. I didn't clean the hose with any soap or solvents fearing that might take the pliability out of it:

Peter P
tyang

Post by tyang »

Great Job Peter. It's almost too bad on your SII 330 all this is nearly hidden behind the grille! Judges will really have to look hard to judge your work!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
peterp

Post by peterp »

tyang wrote:Great Job Peter. It's almost too bad on your SII 330 all this is nearly hidden behind the grille! Judges will really have to look hard to judge your work!

Tom
Thanks Tom. It's mostly a hidden detail on a 330 for sure. It's a little bit the same with the coils on a 330. My car was well preserved when I bought it, so I was surprised that somewhere along the line somebody thought it was a good idea to paint the horns black. I guess they were trying to make them disappear since only a part of the horns can be seen.

I mostly want to satisfy my own judging. Of course, I could probably sleep quite soundly with some of these issues if not for the discussions here! :)
Peter P