Help identifying radiator blind control.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

kafugelum

Help identifying radiator blind control.

Post by kafugelum »

I came across a box of old Ferrari parts, mostly used up items. However, one of the items looked to me very similar to my radiator control on my old GTE 4599 (long gone). On the end of the control there is a logo consisting of a D and Z in a circle (see photo). Also included is the notation "brevete s.g.d.g" which I believe is a French patent notation. Could the part be French made? Is it for a 250 Ferrari? The head is 70mm in diameter. I searched the forum for pictures but they no longer appear to be available.

Thanks

P.S. Still looking for the whereabouts of 4599 last seen in Germany.
IMG_4119s.JPG
IMG_4119s.JPG (212.16 KiB) Viewed 14007 times
IMG_4117s.JPG
IMG_4117s.JPG (179.66 KiB) Viewed 14007 times
John Vardanian

Re: Help identifying radiator blind control.

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi, seems I have this unit on my 250GTL.

john

PF Coupe
kafugelum

Post by kafugelum »

Thanks John
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I need to replace the sheathing of my radiator blind cable. Has anyone gone down this path? I'd appreciate your advice re material, techniques, etc.

At first glance, it seems you'd want to keep the cable core intact and just slide off the old sheath, and slide on a suitable replacement sheath; because replacing the whole cable would involve opening the wheel box, this means destroying the factory rivets.

Thanks in advance for your help.

john
PF Coupe
Admiral Goodwrench

Post by Admiral Goodwrench »

Dear John,

Many years ago working on a Lotus Europa with all the cables and sheaths from the foot well to the back of the car I found that a Marine Supply Store had all sorts of different cables and sheaths in all sizes of length and diameter. That might be a solution for you.

Best regards,

Robert
Robert
500 Mondial SII 0556(0446)/MD
330GT

Post by 330GT »

John Vardanian wrote:I need to replace the sheathing of my radiator blind cable. Has anyone gone down this path? I'd appreciate your advice re material, techniques, etc.

At first glance, it seems you'd want to keep the cable core intact and just slide off the old sheath, and slide on a suitable replacement sheath; because replacing the whole cable would involve opening the wheel box, this means destroying the factory rivets.

Thanks in advance for your help.

john
Got mine at a bicycle shop. Just took in the cable and they had a proper sized sheath.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks guys. I did some searching on the net and it looks like the 5mm sheath, which is what is used for the blind, is commonly used in bicycles.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Also try "push pull cables" - out of california
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

John Vardanian wrote:Thanks guys. I did some searching on the net and it looks like the 5mm sheath, which is what is used for the blind, is commonly used in bicycles.
If I recall correctly, Tom Y did it on this site a long time ago with Shimano bicycle cable and piano wire. No duct tape was involved...
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Guys, I got some 5mm bicycle brake cable sheathing along with the 1.5mm stainless brake cable from a local bike shop. The sheathing looks almost identical to the original. The cable, though the same diameter as the original, being stainless steel is a little stiffer than the original cable. Will this be an issue while winding it around the pulley? I wondered if anyone has used modern cables for the rad blind with any success. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

You want it to work too?!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Yes, for those cold summer days here.
And no, I didn't expect anything useful from you.
;)

john
PF Coupe
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... John, Tom, being an east coaster, isn't familiar with those brisk summer days here in North California. Temps dropping below 90F. Grab a sweater. Take a look in McMaster and Carr for stainless wire rope. You should be able to find a 7-19 in 1/16 inch and it is much more flexible than bicycle cable.

Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tim. I have another question, is the blind spring loaded similar to a house window blind? What makes it go back? I took mine apart today and the barrel that the vinyl wraps over just free spins. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
Scott uk

Post by Scott uk »

After replacing many cables I have started to purchase big spools of both inner and outter cables. You can get these off the Internet by searching for Boden cable, it comes in alot of different sizes.
I have replaced cables for the accelerator, power windows, fuel cap plus many others using this method.
Any pull push cables for example the choke I use piano wire.
Keeper of
330gt 2+2 series 1 and 2
330 gtc
365gtc4
365gtb daytona
512bb
348 gtc