330 GTC AC clutch and pulley

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jcavalie

330 GTC AC clutch and pulley

Post by jcavalie »

Hello! Does anyone here happen to know the manufacturer or part number for the correct AC clutch and pulley for a 330 GTC that has factory equipped AC? My car was originally delivered with AC, but at some point in the last 50 years someone replaced the clutch and pulley with a Ford variety. Unfortunately, that one is not working correctly so I'm looking for an original clutch & pulley assembly. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. The parts manual only refers to this from the picture (AC System, page 38), item 2, Giunto sinistro elettroloc, 6". Manufacturer, part number and pictures would all be super helpful!

My compressor is fine and of the original variety. I'm just seeking the clutch and pulley assembly that attaches to the compressor.

My incorrect clutch and pulley tends to shed the AC belts which then wind themselves around the alternator belt until they are thoroughly shredded and expelled from the car.

Thanks for any help!
jcavalie

Re: 330 GTC AC clutch and pulley

Post by jcavalie »

Hello - A few looks and no bites. Bummer. I've come to learn that this assembly may have been Italian made, under American license, but a company called Bonaldi. It fit the American compressors of the day - York and maybe Tecumseh.

Anyone with a 330 GTC with original AC setup that can try to take a picture of their AC pulley assembly for me? I have some leads on parts but may need a picture or two to confirm it is correct.

Thanks again!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I can shoot some pictures of mine if you'd like, tho' I'm not sure the setup is original. let me know if you want me to do this. since my car isn't currently on the lift (hard to believe, right!) the pix would be from above. i do know that on my unit, when we rebuilt the water pump, getting the belts on the AC unit pulley was a bXXXX of bXXXXXXs. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Steve

That would be helpful - best you can do from above is fine. Or if you see any identifying markings that might be useful on the assembly.

Yes - changing any belts on these cars is a real a** beating. Gotta love radiator lines running through them and shims for tensioning!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I hope this isn't too many pictures...got sorta carried away. NB: the very correct hoses, hose clamps and concours appearance of all components, including the near-new AC belt. I guess that really great Turley Zinfandel has opened the sarcasm floodgates. s
Attachments
P7090097.JPG
P7090097.JPG (181.33 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
P7090096.JPG
P7090096.JPG (240.8 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
P7090095.JPG
P7090095.JPG (167.72 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
P7090093.JPG
P7090093.JPG (197.3 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
P7090092.JPG
P7090092.JPG (160.99 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
P7090091.JPG
P7090091.JPG (227.57 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

and two too many more. s
Attachments
P7090100.JPG
P7090100.JPG (162.76 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
P7090099.JPG
P7090099.JPG (175.17 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
steve meltzer,
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Thanks, Steve. Attached are picts of my current setup! I think I finally know what part number I'm seeking - A/C clutch (12V, 6" by Borletti, design #260/320368) part number is 100473 - thanks to some help on F-chat. But your picts are also helpful!

And hey - your car looks well used! I'll take that over perfect any day! Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_5745.jpeg
IMG_5745.jpeg (326.84 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
IMG_5744.jpeg
IMG_5744.jpeg (151.94 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
IMG_5743.jpeg
IMG_5743.jpeg (284.29 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
IMG_5741.jpeg
IMG_5741.jpeg (173.39 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
IMG_5739.jpeg
IMG_5739.jpeg (177.72 KiB) Viewed 11243 times
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

i'm starting to debate how to clean up the engine bay...the motor really needs to be pulled, sealed, etc. If this was a SB Chevy, i'd be out there now with my cherry picker. yours looks the way i'd like mine to look. nice. s
steve meltzer,
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Thanks Steve. My engine bay is clean, but no where near show car clean. And it likely won't be since I drive the car a fair amount. But I hear you and yanking it. Maybe someday!

I have leads on 2 clutches now. Brand new from Ferrari Classiche and used from a parts dealer. Not sure what to do...new is appealing but I don't have pictures of that one to see if it really is what I think I need, even if claimed to be OEM. Hmm.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Ironically, i too need a new compressor, so i'm eagerly awaiting your strategy. thanx. s
steve meltzer,
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Thanks, Steve. That is pretty ironic! So...I have a new York compressor. Patrick Ottis sourced it and fitted it in my car. I think he said the new ones were exactly the same as the old ones, but they now come black and he painted it silver. He used the clutch/pulley that had been in my car, which are of a Ford variety, and which may be the root of my belt throwing issue. So...I'm trying to find an original clutch/pulley assembly to install on my compressor and see if that solves the problem.

My latest question is whether to pursue an older design clutch pulley that has external brushes or whether to go with an ever so slightly more modern version that has the electrical contacts internal to the field coil. If you find my posts on fchat there is some discussion there about this. I think I'm going to go with the latter though.

Will this solve my belt throwing, I don't know. But since we have to take the car apart to install new belts, I "might as well" install an original clutch pulley assembly" and cross my fingers that that helps - because otherwise we don't know what's wrong. Compressor is new, harmonic balancer is fine, belts align correctly and are matched pairs. Yet - I've shed them 2x now.

I'll report back when I have this sorted - but since my car is at my vacation home for the summer, it won't be sorted until Sept or Oct, when it is back in the Bay Area and can go in for service. For now, it's fine with no AC...

Best!
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Thought I'd close out this thread with some good news. I found a correct electromagnetic clutch & pulley assembly from a donor 1960s Maserati, and my shop disassembled my front end to work on my "belt throwing" issue. Digging much deeper this time, we found that at some point in the past the mounting holes for the AC compressor were bored out. We made a new AC mounting bracket to match what an original would look like, mounted the compressor, rebuilt the vintage electromagnetic clutch I found (new bearing), rebuilt the brushes (external style clutch brushes), and put it back together. So far so good - no trouble with the AC belts and everything appears to be working well!

The current suspicion is that the AC compressor could shift slightly when the AC was switched on, and that caused the pulleys to misalign and throw the belts.

We'll see over time if the problem is solved for good, but after 40 miles of testing and turning the AC on/off many times, everything seems solid.

While we had the front end apart, we fitted proper lucas cooling fans and motors and the proper MM BZR201A coils that I had sourced over the last couple years.

Woo-hoo!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

WOW! What tenacity! Well done and makes sense. My AC compressor and all brackets are out, as is the engine. Onward through the fog. thanx for the follow up. s
steve meltzer,
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Thanks, Steve! I've been enjoying following your thread on your engine removal and rebuild. That's way beyond my skill-set, and more importantly, the patience of my wife!
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

It's beyond my skill set as well, but encouragement and help from Yang followers like you and many, many others + my own intrepid stupidity propels me onward (through the fog). s
steve meltzer,