Engine removal from my GTC

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Engine removal from my GTC

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tired of so many oil leaks from the GTC, so I'm going to R&R the oily thing and seal the leaks (I hope). When I've pulled engines on my 'Vettes or the Kirkham Cobra, I've used an engine lift plate that bolted to the intake when the Holleys were removed. When I get to the actua enginel lift, will a "tow strap" (think Harbor Freight) work or is there a "lift plate" for the car should I relent and take the carbs off?

Also does anyone know if a standard (Harbor Freight again) engine stand can work here? Suggestions? thanx. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
330GT

Re: Engine removal from my GTC

Post by 330GT »

Steve Meltzer wrote:Also does anyone know if a standard (Harbor Freight again) engine stand can work here? Suggestions? thanx. s
Two HF engine stands put together. See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/P ... eStand.htm.

The V-12 weighs too much to be hung from one end.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Kerry, thanx. did you use a tow strap or some sort of manifold-attached lift plate? thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Steve,

We use a simple canvas strap made into a sling that cradles the engine at four points looped around the distributor housings in back and the waterpump housing and whatever is substantial in the front. We tie a knot( a couple) to keep it in place. the engine balances pretty well near the center of the engine lined up with the motor mount, so the pick point should be there. Remove the carbs, cover the intakes, and get the strap as close to the engine as you can to give enough lift for the cherry picker. It's got to lift pretty high to clear the radiator cross member when attached to an engine hoist. We use an overhead lift with a chain fall to make this job easier.

Things to take off before you snatch the engine to keep from damaging parts or giving clearance:
radiator, A/C compressor, alternator, headers, distributor caps, and carbs. Don't forget to disconnect the oil pressure line in the back of the engine, or you won't get very far when you try to pull the engine!

Good luck. This is the easy part. Getting that engine to stop leaking oil, now that's going to be the challenge!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, I'd envisioned something like that, but had hoped not to remove the carbs. However, in the overall picture, that's the least of the effort. Right?
Having a ceiling-hung pulley would be the cat's meow, but i'll just use the cherry picker i've had and used before (didn't think I use it more than once, and I have). thanx for the clear description...pretty much as I'd planned, the details are most helpful. s
steve meltzer,
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

IMAG0451.jpg
IMAG0451.jpg (57.18 KiB) Viewed 14066 times
You can see from my picture what I took off. Don't forget the oil temp wire at the sump, in fact you may want to remove the sensor too because it's in a vulnerable location when the engine is wiggling around. In hind sight I would have also removed the tach drive, one less thing to snag.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

excellent! i have dc'd the tach drive, both distributors, heat shields, hood, battery and the feed and return fuel lines. pluggin' away. Alternator and radiator after lunch. thanx so much. Tom, are you going to Monterey? s
steve meltzer,
Colin Angell

Post by Colin Angell »

Hi Steve,
I gather you've done the job now, but I thought I might add something to your question. I took my 365 GTC engine out using a sling, probably as most people do, but as I was working on it realised how relatively light and beautifully balanced it is. I made up a lifting plate which I attached using the two hold down studs for the central inlet manifold. I was a little worried about pulling the studs, so lifted the engine very gently, whilst still attached to its stand- just in case- but there was absolutely no problem and it was very easy to handle and went back in very easily. Without leaks, so good luck!
Colin
Attachments
Going in.jpg
Going in.jpg (311 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
Engine out.jpg
Engine out.jpg (254.82 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
Almost ready.jpg
Almost ready.jpg (318.87 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
1643.jpg
1643.jpg (282.85 KiB) Viewed 13972 times
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Colin, far from it...I'm still in the planning and debating stage...do I do this job (with adult supervision) or do I farm it out to a real shop? Leaning toward the former and your pictures, as all the others, are most helpful. I'm sure I'll be posting the list with every hiccup. I fear the vortex. Wish you were stateside so I might borrow your "lift plate" (weirdly, the one I have from Summit Racing for Ford and Chevy engines, won't work!) thanx again. s

ADD: I'm not usually a stickler for every little bit of Ferrari correctness, but I think your steering wheel might be on the right/wrong side! s
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

When you have a Columbo engine stripped down, you'll find very little "meat" in the aluminum where the intake manifold studs are attached. These blocks are getting too expensive to take a chance of breaking something or having to make a repair. With all the weight of the crankshaft, pistons, rods, flywheel, and heads, that's a lot of stress to put on old studs screwed into aluminum. I'm glad Colin successfully pulled his engine with a lifting plate on just the two intake studs, but I wouldn't have been so daring! I guess if something happened, my explanation to a customer would be much harder than having to do it to yourself!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
treue

Post by treue »

330GT wrote:
Steve Meltzer wrote:Also does anyone know if a standard (Harbor Freight again) engine stand can work here? Suggestions? thanx. s
Two HF engine stands put together. See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/P ... eStand.htm.

Kerry,

Sorry. Beg to differ. See below. As long as the center of gravity is between the casters, it will work.

Tom
Attachments
9129 Engine 6, 8-29-11.JPG
9129 Engine 6, 8-29-11.JPG (143.71 KiB) Viewed 13826 times
9129 Engine 11, 11-9-12.JPG
9129 Engine 11, 11-9-12.JPG (142.78 KiB) Viewed 13826 times
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

OK, Tom, you can't trick me. I know a Harbor Freight orange stand when i own one. Yours looks substantially more robust to me. nice engineering. s
steve meltzer,
treue

Post by treue »

'kyou, Steve. I just made the adapter frame. Vintage Connection, that did most of the work on 9129, used their engine stand which is, apparently, from Harbor Freight. In addition to the length of the engine, I included 2 or three inches between the flywheel and the back of the frame to clear the socket and ratchet to install the flywheel, which pushes the CG even closer to disaster, but it worked. I cut the lightening holes and slots with a saber saw. Since I will likely never restore another Ferrari 330 engine, I gave the adapter to Vintage Connection.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Just so well done. s
steve meltzer,
330GT

Post by 330GT »

treue wrote:
330GT wrote:

Kerry,

Sorry. Beg to differ. See below. As long as the center of gravity is between the casters, it will work.

Tom
I was talking about the traditional V8 way where the whole engine is hung from the bell housing. I see that you have a frame that picks up the engine load from the engine mounts, not from just the bell housing.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605