An intro to say hi.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Scott uk

An intro to say hi.

Post by Scott uk »

This is just a brief introduction to say hello, after trawling this site on many occasions I thought it only right to join you all.
I am a restorer from England, looking after a private collection of classic Ferraris.
I hope to share some of my many trials and tribulations I encounter.
I am sure that along the way many of you many be able to help me and vise versa.
Non of us know everything but as a group we all know something and together we can make our journey a lot
More pleasant.
I am new to forums so please excuse any mistakes I make on here.
Thank Scott smith
Keeper of
330gt 2+2 series 1 and 2
330 gtc
365gtc4
365gtb daytona
512bb
348 gtc
simonc

Re: An intro to say hi.

Post by simonc »

Hi Scott,

And a warm welcome from a fellow Brit.

Simon
Simon in the UK

1973 246GT Dino
1976 365 Boxer
1977 400 Auto
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Welcome to the site Scott; looking forward to exchanging miseries.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Scott,

Welcome aboard!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Welcome to the site Scott; looking forward to exchanging miseries.

john
Oh stop it John, you know you love every minute of tinkering on those old Ferraris!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Scott, Welcome from across the pond! I rarely have anything to contribute, but no one asks more questions! steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

tyang wrote:
John Vardanian wrote:Welcome to the site Scott; looking forward to exchanging miseries.

john
Oh stop it John, you know you love every minute of tinkering on those old Ferraris!

Tom
Yup, if it wasn't for masochism this site wouldn't exist.

john
PF Coupe
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

It's not like the USA but UK is still quite an area. Can you give us a better idea whereabouts you're located?

The information exchanged through this site is practical and useful, and there's a lot of it. Hope you enjoy it.
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
Scott uk

Post by Scott uk »

Hi terry I am based in the Midlands in Loughborough. I am at present restoring a 330gt and replacing the head gaskets on a 330gtc amongst everything else.
Keeper of
330gt 2+2 series 1 and 2
330 gtc
365gtc4
365gtb daytona
512bb
348 gtc
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

what head gaskets are you using on the GTC? some of the vendors seem to only have the ones with a reputation for coolant leaks. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Scott uk

Post by Scott uk »

Hi Steve, first off I made the big mistake of using Elring gaskets thinking that using a genuine gasket would be the right move but after refitting the engine and filling with water I found I had the dreaded leaks. So I did a bit of research and with the help from tom I am now using a gasket supplied by Geoffrey ohland at parts source also I use a copper gasket dressing. I am now on my forth engine using these and have not had any issues.
The big problem with Elring is the modern materials they are made from will not compress enough on the protruding liners.
If the block face has been skimmed I would safely guess that the Elring would be fine.
Hope this helps on sorting your leaks.
Keeper of
330gt 2+2 series 1 and 2
330 gtc
365gtc4
365gtb daytona
512bb
348 gtc
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx so much, Scott. Much appreciated. steve
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Scott uk wrote:Hi Steve, first off I made the big mistake of using Elring gaskets thinking that using a genuine gasket would be the right move but after refitting the engine and filling with water I found I had the dreaded leaks. So I did a bit of research and with the help from tom I am now using a gasket supplied by Geoffrey ohland at parts source also I use a copper gasket dressing. I am now on my forth engine using these and have not had any issues.
The big problem with Elring is the modern materials they are made from will not compress enough on the protruding liners.
If the block face has been skimmed I would safely guess that the Elring would be fine.
Hope this helps on sorting your leaks.
There are two camps for skimming the blocks on Ferrari engines. Stock Ferrari engines have their steel liners protruding 2-3 thousandths of an inch above the deck height of the aluminum block, and one camp continues to do this. A second camp, machines the deck height flat like a normal engine. The problem is as Scott says, elrings will leak when using stock specs. There was a reason for this protrusion, and the best explanation I've heard is the aluminum block expands at a different rate than the steel liner, so as things heat up, and the aluminum "grows" the deck height will change more than the steel liners will expand. The 2-3 thousandths difference in height compensates for this, but the gasket has to as well. Whatever the reason, the gaskets make a big difference, and there are several to choose from. Some of them work, some of them don't, but make sure whatever combination of parts you have, make sure you have the right parts!

Sorry to hijacking the thread.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, so you are saying that if the block is "skimmed or decked" flat, the Elrings are OK? But if the block retains it's factory configuration (liners .002-.003" proud to the block's deck) the Elrings will leak? Just want to clarify. thanx. steve
steve meltzer,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Steve Meltzer wrote:Tom, so you are saying that if the block is "skimmed or decked" flat, the Elrings are OK? But if the block retains it's factory configuration (liners .002-.003" proud to the block's deck) the Elrings will leak? Just want to clarify. thanx. steve
All of our rebuilds have the stock protrusion, so I can't say what the Elrings will work on.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053