330 GTC Sunvisor tips

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

wmuno

Re: 330 GTC Sunvisor tips

Post by wmuno »

tyang wrote:One of them has white tips and the other has black tips. It's hard to know which ones were changed!

Tom
Tom, would you post a photo of one of the original white tips? I'm interested to see what is the shape of an OE tip. Thanks.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I'll take a picture the next time I'm near the car.

TOm
'63 330 America #5053
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

Does anyone know what the correct original shape and dimensions are for the sun visor tips? I've been following the color debate, but I'd love to know length, inside and outside diameter, whether they were cylindrical or had a bulb or wider part on the end, etc. would also be helpful to know how hard or soft the original material was. Did they feel rigid, squishy, or somewhere in between (like, if you squished them would they break or give a little)? Did they have an inner lip that snapped onto the small indentation in the visor arm?

I've never seen any originals so hard to make a replacement without knowing what exactly to make. My teenage son is getting quite good at CAD programs and 3D printing and he's looking at whether these could be made and printed up (in black and/or white). He's already prototyped a couple other small parts for my GTC and if he can get them right we may see whom else is interested in examples.
wmuno

Post by wmuno »

I think it would be very helpful to have a photo of an original white tip along with its dimensions.
jcavalie

Post by jcavalie »

My son and I are working on possibly making replacements for these. We have dimensions from an old/crumbled one and have made some prototypes that look correct and fit well. We are now working on sorting out the best material to be faithful to the hard rubber of the originals but provide better durability. If we get something we are happy with, we will post picts. I suspect it will be a couple more weeks.
wmuno

Post by wmuno »

I'm sure this would be a very popular reproduction part with a large number of 330 GTC owners including myself. Keep us posted on your progress.