engine sealant adhesives

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

engine sealant adhesives

Post by Steve Meltzer »

First, as is often the case, my apologies for X-posting, but what gasket adhesive is preferred for resealing the engine on my GTC? I’ve been using the Ford “gray” silicone, but before I buy two more tubes I wanted to see what the prevailing opinion is. Thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jumprun

Re: engine sealant adhesives

Post by Jumprun »

Howdy Steve,
I've become somewhat of a convert to Loctite 518. I took the recommendations from this site and started using it on fuel connections but have since used it on the cam covers, water pump and transaxle seals among other places. I like it because it's easy to remove and never "glues" things together. It's also easy to wipe off the excess because it doesn't set up unless tightly assembled. I use it sparingly and don't worry as much about any squeeze-out getting into the oil like I would a silicone product.

Buy it in the larger toothpaste tube size. It is not cheap but what is now-a-days?
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, the 518 is a great all around fluid interface. I always use it on the fuel lines to prevent the weeping that the yellow hoses seem to do. On castings be sure you do not over apply as you do not want it to squeeze into the engine. It is not that expensive if you check the eBay suppliers. Jim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Loctite 518 is great stuff, it has cured leaks where RTV has failed me. That said, for years I have used the ordinary store brand black RTV at the cam covers and the oil sump and have had zero leaks. Every time the cam covers or the sump come off I wondered if I should try 518, but I end up sticking to what I trusted. This last go around I was low on RTV and said what the heck, let's try the 518. Since then, I am constantly wiping nagging little weepings after every drive.

john
PF Coupe
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

great info guys, and thanx for your input. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."