Should my Lusso's have a backup light?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Greg Brendel

Should my Lusso's have a backup light?

Post by Greg Brendel »

My Lusso does not have a back-up light but there is a hole in the body (and also one on the bumper) where it looks like it would go. (see pic). From all the Lusso pics I have looked at it seems like half of them have them and the other half don't have them installed. My car was classique certified without the light and also did not get a deduction at a recent show for not having one. Any insight?
Attachments
lusso_backup_light.JPG
lusso_backup_light.JPG (27.46 KiB) Viewed 11128 times
Greg Brendel

Re: Should my Lusso's have a backup light?

Post by Greg Brendel »

I believe the backup lights for the Lusso and 275 are the same. Here is one for a 275 but it attaches with two screws and my Lusso has one opening. Is the opening for the electrical wire to go through? Does this light look correct? It has Carello lens number 18.550.717.
Attachments
lusso_bu4 (Small).jpg
lusso_bu4 (Small).jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 11126 times
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

The light in the photo is correct for a Lusso.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Greg, if your Lusso came with a back-up light you might have an electric switch here instead of the brass plug, as shown in this picture. The hole in the rear valance is for a drain tube. There is a downspout on the corner of the filler neck surround (inside the trunk). You would have a green Cavis hose from that downspout to that hole in the valance, so spilled gas would drain onto the ground. Some cars had reversing lights right from the onset. I believe the German market cars were such. Hope this helps.

john

PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

that trans is nicely detailed john....piece of art!!
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Ed, more importantly, it's nicely sealed and gots new synchros.
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Greg, another clue is this. There is a connection block on the left rear wheel arch. The trunk carpet will have a flap snap on it (looks like the flap on a country western shirt pocket). You unsnap it and you'll see this block. The vacancy means this car did not have a reversing light.

Greg, I recall when you got your car it had no bumpers. The rear bumper, if it came with the car would have the chassis number stamped on it.

john

PF Coupe
Greg Brendel

Post by Greg Brendel »

Thanks John and Dyke. Here is the flap and all wires are there so looks like it should have had a backup light. The picture with the arrow shows a spare wire so maybe that it is.
Attachments
lusso_backup_wire (Small).jpg
lusso_backup_wire (Small).jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 11045 times
Lusso_flap.jpg
Lusso_flap.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 11045 times
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Greg, I see your red/black wire going thru the block, not like mine where it stops at the block. It looks like that loose end might be your reverse light. Put a test bulb to it and put the gearbox in reverse, see what happens. The ignition key needs to be on. I am curious, does your car have a separate steering lock?

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote:Greg, I see your red/black wire going thru the block, not like mine where it stops at the block. It looks like that loose end might be your reverse light. Put a test bulb to it and put the gearbox in reverse, see what happens. The ignition key needs to be on. I am curious, does your car have a separate steering lock?

john
On a 330 recently, I found the reverse light didn't go on unless the ignition was on, AND the lights were on! I think the 250s were wired differently, but if it doesn't work, check if it does with the lights on.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom, these are Italian car oddities. I believe the engine bay courtesy lights are wired the same way.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

This is a very original German Lusso. It's on the market in the LA area, you might find better pictures of it on the net. You may want to use this as a guide for the mounting point.

A little anecdote about this car, before the respray, it had at least a dozen "Ferrari" bezels mounted all over it. I see they left one on the back panel. Otherwise, it is very untouched.

john

PF Coupe