Intro from a new member...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

GarryMac

Intro from a new member...

Post by GarryMac »

Hello everyone,

Just thought that I would take this opportunity to introduce myself to your community.

Garry here from Australia, my passion is being an 'OBR' (Old Bomb Restorer'- please dont take that literally as I know we are talking Ferraris here :-))

Like a lot of us, I too have the long itch to own a Vintage Ferrari when the right opportunity comes along before my retirement?? which will give me something to work on and enjoy the drive.

Being in Australia makes it a little harder however I am hoping something may come along in the way of a 330 GT 4H !!! (missed my opportunity at GW a week or so ago!!) which is what led me too your forum and also I was reading the fascinating story of Darren C, and the 'born again' 330 GT 4H that he had saved and all the marvellous work he had done rebuilding chassis, floors, trims etc and was doing but then all that seems to have come to an end?? I did however read he was having some health issues? so am hoping he is o.k. and things are just a bit quiet for him as it is winter in England at present?

I am here to look listen and learn, thank you for your time.

Kind Regards

Garry
tyang

Re: Intro from a new member...

Post by tyang »

Hi Garry,

Welcome aboard. The market is in flux, and you may be able to find the project you're looking for, but remember one thing:
"Ferraris were expensive even when they were cheap!"
Sometimes you just have to step up and pay, or else you may never buy one! I may have paid $30K for mine, but back then, it wasn't like everyone was willing to pay that kind of money for a Ferrari.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Garry, welcome to this great site where real men (wink, wink) get their hands dirty. Tom is right, what seems expensive today ends up being tomorrow's bargain. But of course, it's easier for us to say buy this or buy that. An old country saying of my mom's went something like this in translation... you stretch your legs only as far as your blanket is long.

I personally love the 4HL 330. I hope you find one soon.

john
PF Coupe
Lowell

Post by Lowell »

Welcome!

You should look around Kerry Chesbro's site

http://www.330gt.com/

You can poke around there and find out a lot of interesting things.

If you scroll down the Registry listing, you can find cars for sale. After clicking on this, you can then click on
the sellers web site and/or the serial number. Clicking on the serial number brings up a page of the car's data
and history.
Lowell Brown
1966 Gold 330 2+2 Series II
GarryMac

Post by GarryMac »

Hello Tom, John and Lowell,

Thank you for getting back to me with your gentle persuasion!!! Yes I was a little over cautious on that one at GW

I think not being fully conversant with the model just slowed me a bit and when i was reading what Darren was going through with his rebuild, I kind of stayed back a bit however positive thoughts and it has happened to me before, BAM, out of the blue one pops up just when you think it is all over!!

I do have a strong admiration for the 4H model, to me it is a little off the wall just what i like in a car.

Hopefully while I am looking the AUD will start to head back in a Northerly direction again and make it just that bit easier???

Cheers
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Gary, welcome to the site -

There is a lot of knowledge that supports this site and great people that contribute to helping out.

Ref your 4 HL desires - considering your in Australia, i assume you want the RHD car?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
365gtc/4

Post by 365gtc/4 »

Where in Oz are you from? LHD is no trouble in most places. I am in Melb and have 2 LHD cars and they are simple to have on the club plate system, as long as they are over 25 years old I think. Depending on where you live generally there are local guys who know these cars pretty well. You can talk to them about what to look for. The general advise is buy the best car you can. Deferred maintenance cars can be a nightmare. Old Ferrari V12s can be very expensive to fix if something major is wrong. However once set up correctly they are strong and reliable, oh and a ton of fun to drive hard. Good luck.
John
Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.