GTE Motor Mounts help

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

NOTRED

GTE Motor Mounts help

Post by NOTRED »

I am not sure if there are any spacers or bushings needed for Series 1 GTE engine mounts. I recall a post from Tom from 2015 for a Blue Series 1 330 - he made some teflon bushings which added 10mm in height to rear mount. What about front mounts? Help!
C
tyang

Re: GTE Motor Mounts help

Post by tyang »

If you look at the parts book, there is a spacer for the rear motor mount on a four mount Ferrari engine, but none on the front mount.

I apologize not being able to upload pictures at this time, but I'm working on a fix! Otherwise I would upload the picture of the parts book page! If you don't have a parts book, I can always email it.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
NOTRED

Post by NOTRED »

Thanks Tom
Is the spacer a steel washer? What thickness? FYI 2831 will be run on bench test/dyno tomorrow - first time running in 10 years!
C
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

What is really important is that the motor slope slightly to the rear. The oil drain holes in the heads are to the rear, and require the motor to slope to the rear to help drain the oil from the heads. If the motor slopes to the front, the oil will puddle in the heads and then find it's way down the exhaust guides, making any smoke worse. Over the years, we have solved a smoking problem in some older motors by finding they were sloping forward. Spacers under the front motor mounts reduced the smoking. Just set a level on the cam covers when installing the motor and adjust the spacers as required.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom, am I reading your note wrong, or did you mean to say that the spacers go to the front mounts? You did say the motor needs to be a little nose up, correct?

john
PF Coupe
Timo

Post by Timo »

It might also be a good idea to check front & rear suspension ride height adjustments ("stance" level ?) first, especially if engine "slope" adjustment appear to require excessive(?) amount of spacers.
Timo
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Timo picked up on the part of my post that I should have expanded. First, you need to have the chassis ride heights at the appropriate levels.
NOTRED

Post by NOTRED »

Thanks everyone for the advice.
BTW we ran the engine today on the dyno - no issues. Tomorrow, we'll have some more bench time to finalize timing and carbs before we check for power run. When do you suggest head retorque? I've heard well before the 1000km mark.
C
250GT

Post by 250GT »

i can follow both conciderations of Timo and "the state of art" Dyke.

The right level of the old F-cars is very theoretical ( amount of fuel, amount of pesengers, no adjustabel schocks, worn leaf springs, etc etc).

80 % of the pre 1964 F- cars hang down at the end...... when used.

So the oil goes back all the time alone I think.

I use to adjust the motor mount orientation to the horizontal level of the carburators.

With one driver and fueltank half full.

oil swap heavely by acclerating and braking.

any thoughts?

best

Cornelis

P,S.
Nice the repair of Picture uploading feature.
its only a hobby here.
Attachments
IMG_6203.jpg
IMG_6203.jpg (141.68 KiB) Viewed 8648 times