Question for Tom... Vent Windows

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Question for Tom... Vent Windows

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom, I see that you are putting together the window frames and glass. I have a question about the triangular (swivel) vent windows. Is there a rubber seal that goes between the glass and its frame? If not, how do you seal it? Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Re: Question for Tom... Vent Windows

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

I use strip calk, a 3M product. It's sometimes called dum-dum. It's a putty like substance that doesn't harden and is cleaned up with mineral spirits. I use it between the glass and the frame of the vent window. Later cars like the 330s have gasket, but this is what I do for the 250s.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom. I chipped away a hard black something. It's probably been there since the beginning, probably similar to your stuff.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom, can you remind me... is the window frame lowered into the door with the window already in it, or do you place the window inside the door then the two mate when the frame is half way in? I'm now talking about the up-down window, not the vent window. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

I have found it's often easier to have the window installed in the frame when lowering it into the door. I use blue tape to hold it in place as you lower the frame into the door. Each car is different, but it takes some maneuvering to get the lower tabs to clear the door opening, and it helps to have a second person watching and guiding the frame into place to keep from scratching the paint. Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Appreciate the tip, Tom. Hey I have one more question. The fuzzy window scraper that mounts on the door's edge, do you mount that before dropping in the frame or after?

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:46 pm Appreciate the tip, Tom. Hey I have one more question. The fuzzy window scraper that mounts on the door's edge, do you mount that before dropping in the frame or after?

john
It depends. Most times, I find it neater to glue the felt strip on with contact cement and either pop rivet or screw them in place. It takes a few times of installing, marking, removing, and re-installing the window frames to know where the felt goes. There is some evidence that they may have screwed these pieces in place after the chrome strip on the door side was installed. It all depends on how tight you want the felt to come up against the window frame pieces. I just worked on a Lusso this past summer, and I remember we had the felt installed before the window was installed, but had to push some of it out of the way to get the frame into the door. I'm currently working on a 365GT 2+2, and it's different again!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom. I kept the old pieces, they should give me some general idea of the length an the mounting holes are still in the doors.

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom, the "U" strips in the side window channels, do you glue these in as well? It seems like the thing might be self adhering. Seems to me if you stuff the thing in and heat the frame some the tar like coating would mold into the housing and take hold. Am I overthinking it?

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

Are we talking about the quarter window glass?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Tom, I am talking about the roll up side window channels.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

John Vardanian wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:21 am Tom, I am talking about the roll up side window channels.

john
Absolutely glue these in! If the gooey rubber loosens, you will have the ends come out when the window rolls down, and no way to secure them without removing the frames again to re-glue. The factory used glue here too as I've certainly scraped my share of the stuff!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Tom. I took a second look at the old stuff and sure enough, there was old glue on them.

Dropping in the frame in the door is no cakewalk for sure, even with a second pair of hands. One thing I learned that I'd like to share is this. Before dropping in the frame, pull the two long legs of the frame together tightly with a string and make a knot. This makes for a cleaner landing, the legs tend to not snag things as much. This also keeps the glass locked in place during the operation.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi John,

All good tips. I usually use masking tape and tape the windows in place. This allows them to stay in place and keeps the frame in shape. No matter what you do, it's a tricky job.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks for all your help Tom.

john
PF Coupe