Fuel Tank

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

John Vardanian

Fuel Tank

Post by John Vardanian »

I would like to have the inside of my tank lined. Has anyone done this? Would love to hear comments good or bad about this treatment.

Also, the little filter that is at the end of the pick-up tube inside the tank, is this available or are there retrofits? Mine broke off. Thanks.

john
PF Coupe
BobA

Re: Fuel Tank

Post by BobA »

Hi John: I had my tank cleaned by a radiator shop here in the San Diego area and coated. They say they do 10 to 20 per week. Motorcycle to trucks. Have not gotten around to fueling it yet, but I think it will be just fine. Shouold be someone in your area who can do the cleaning & coating. The 55 mm hose for the fill pipe was hard to locate, except from GTO. I tried automotive fill hose, but was either too tight or too loose. Their hose has a limited amount of fabric which makes it more flexible. I think that GT Parts in Phoenix has the filters for the dip tube.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: DON'T DO IT!!!! Unless you have major seepage that cannot be repaired any other way, do not put a liner in the fuel tank. I have personally experienced way too many failed liners (from various reputable sources). I have seen engines severely damaged internally from liners sucked through the fuel system into the cylinders (yes, true). Putting a liner in a fuel tank should be the very last resort and even then, I would consider the expense of fabricating a new tank before I put in a liner.
Timo

Post by Timo »

DWR46 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:08 pm John: DON'T DO IT!!!! Unless you have major seepage that cannot be repaired any other way, do not put a liner in the fuel tank. I have personally experienced way too many failed liners (from various reputable sources). I have seen engines severely damaged internally from liners sucked through the fuel system into the cylinders (yes, true). Putting a liner in a fuel tank should be the very last resort and even then, I would consider the expense of fabricating a new tank before I put in a liner.
+1
Timo
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Dyke. This place blasts the inside of the tank (which requires punching holes in the tank that are later plugged). Then they powder coat it and then bake it. Is this the same type of treatment that you say is troublesome?

https://www.gastankrenu.com/how-it-works/

john
PF Coupe
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

John: It is still a coating. Talk with Brian Madden at Phil Reilly's If you want to hear more horror stories.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Brian and I just went through this on a Type 51 Bugatti. What a mess.
Timo

Post by Timo »

While I’ve never had (nor wouldn’t have) any of my own or clients tanks coated/lined, I too have dealt with nightmarish consequences created by such treatments on few instances.
Only somewhat reasonable sealing of minor leaks I’ve been successful with has been with some 2-component epoxies, but would recommend use of caution and consideration dependent on location and size of intended application since many such epoxies are not very flexible and can crack or break off under some conditions.
Timo
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

I did talk to Brian and got the details of those circumstances. I am still undecided. Thanks everyone.

john
PF Coupe
B24Spider

Post by B24Spider »

John, I have to agree with all the comments about lining; just more problems waiting for you.

Another solution is tinning. It's what I did on the Spider. Not all that expensive, esp. compared to a new tank. And when you can't get one, well...

After chemical stripping, the tank is literally dipped in a vat of molten tin. Any soldered flanges, necks, baffles, etc. have to first be removed (after making templates so they can be accurately resoldered) or pinned/riveted/screwed. They'll do that for you, but I prefer to do it myself, as I'm sure you do too. It also seals pinholes, gaps, etc.

Look up Oregon Retinners. They'll also do your copper pans and mixing bowls.

Twenty five years later, I can still see the shine inside. You're welcome to come see it yourself.
-Steve
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Steve, not that expensive either, even with shipping. Thanks for chiming in. I'll call them after the Fourth.

john
PF Coupe
B24Spider

Post by B24Spider »

Is it painted or undercoated? If you get someone local to clean it you can desolder all the bits and pieces yourself. I've used Nor-Cal Metal Stripping in Windsor (they also will happily do a shitty job of lining), but I don't know what they charge currently. Or you can make an inexpensive citric acid rust-remover, mixing 5 lbs citric acid powder in 15 gallons of hot water, adding one bottle NON-sudsing ammonia to buffer it, in a WELL ventilated area. It works cold too, but takes longer.

I don't know 250 tanks. Remember, anything soldered on that isn't removed will drop to the bottom of the tinning vat. The sending unit flange has to be clocked so the sender is correctly oriented, and the angles of the filler neck are critical. Etc.
-Steve
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks Steve. But I don't want to do any of that. I just want to send them the tank in one piece and have it back in one piece. Why would you need to take it apart, etc.

john
PF Coupe