Re-Engraving logo on Borrani spinners

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

Re-Engraving logo on Borrani spinners

Post by chris »

Dear All,

being in Padua at the Auto Epoca I spoke to the guys from Borrani. I asked them if the have the 250/275 style spinners with Route Borrani on them, not Route Borrani Milano. They were not aware of the differences and do not have them.

Two questions:

Were both available originally?

Do you have contacts who re-engrave old spinners?

Thanks a lot.

Christopher
tyang

Re: Re-Engraving logo on Borrani spinners

Post by tyang »

Hi Chris,

Contact Ryan at http://brightworkrestoration.com/
He took over the restoration of Borrani wheels from Cork Adams who used to own Precision Wire Wheel Service. He should have patterns to re-engrave the spinners.

I tend to believe Borrani would rather sell you new wheels and knock offs than restore the original pieces.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Tom,

I agree about Borrani. They are nice people but I was astonished how little they knew and would always go for rebuild old wheels instead of new.

BR
Christopher
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Christopher,

I feel new Borranis are stronger than the original ones because the rims are supposedly drawn from a single piece of aluminum, while the originals were welded hoops, but I've never seen a failure of an old wheel. Unless one of my customers was racing the car, or the original one was too far gone, I would try to save the original wheel. Wheel restoration is not cheap either, and there are less shops that do it, especially with the correct stamps and engraving. I think if Borrani had a choice, they would not be be licensing their name to restoration shops, but it's a revenue stream for them with very little work on their part.

Another point worth considering, Borrani insists on rebuilding wheels with their chrome spokes. Previous rebuilders used stainless steel spokes. I don't think Borrani will license a rebuilt wheel unless the rebuilder uses their chrome spokes. As these wheels age, the chrome spokes can rust, and replacement only comes from disassembly and rebuilding again. I have chrome spokes on my wheels when they were done by the previous owner a couple of decades ago, but they're starting to rust. It's a shame the only way to remedy this problem is to redo a perfectly good wheel, or all four!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
abrent

Post by abrent »

Just tried to buy the correct chrome spokes from Borrani for refinishing wheels. They won't sell them due to "safety" concerns.
Are there any suppliers who will?
I have a local guy who can do the work, but he's keen to use stainless spokes.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Unless it's a concours effort use stainless spokes. I would reuse my original rims and hubs.

john
PF Coupe