250 Gte vent in drivers footwell

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

250 Gte vent in drivers footwell

Post by chris »

And here is another one for the 250 Gte experts. I have seen the vent in the drivers footwell on LHD cars being covered by the same outlet mesh cover as the one in the passengers footwell and I have seen cars were the outlet in the drivers footwell has no cover just a hole in the carpet with according carpet binding. What would be right for a S3?

Thanks a lot
Christopher
Melchior

Re: 250 Gte vent in drivers footwell

Post by Melchior »

This is it.

regards, Martin
Attachments
IMG_0492.JPG
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Yes, as Martin posted, there is a vent cover. I may have a spare one if you need it.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot. I meanwhile have the missing cover.

Christopher
tyang

Post by tyang »

Melchior wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:54 am This is it.

regards, Martin
Hi Martin,

Your picture prompts me to ask a question that was asked by a friend of mine restoring a GTE. Since your carpet color is slightly different than the leather, what color is the other vent down by the passenger footwell that is covered in leather? Did Pininfariana paint the vents to match each color? Do you know if your vents were painted matching colors originally?

Thanks.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hello Tom,

both is new: I bought a new carpet from "world upholstery & trim". The type is called "Wilton Navy" and matched the most to the original. How do I know? My car is very original throughout and I found several sections of carpet which looked very much factory fitted such as the ones around the vent under the Dashboard for example. This one does not have wear out, so I am rather sure it had never been removed so far.

I do not believe that the factory fitted carpet had exactly the same clour as the leather, even when it certainly was close. If you have other opinion I am keen to hear.

The vent-covers have been resprayed and I tried to match the colour they had before. The result does not match as much as the carpet, the genuine colour had a little less red and more blue/green. Anyhow, the difference is little so I kept it this way.

regards, Martin
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

One more thing about the leather: it is the original leather - has all the stamps and marks on the back side, but was restored and recoloured by me. The colour is very close to the original but the look of course is rather new now. You can see the exact difference at the foto attached as the seats have not been recoloured yet in contrary to the tunnel cover - I treated them with leather fat before, which needs to get dryed before dying. The colour difference at the foto looks more severe than in real, if you look at the two different seats you see that there is shading due to the light falling differently on the different sections.
Attachments
leather colour.jpg
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

sorry, I could not find a way to add attachments to my former post - this is the carpet sample (right - 49 blue) of the wool carpet.
Attachments
carpet sample.jpg
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Last message - I promise :)

Chris texted me that I probably misunderstood Tom´s question - the vent covers in the foot panels left & right have the same colour like the one under the dashboard at the driver side.

cheers, Martin