Curiosity about the tool kit hub puller

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Curiosity about the tool kit hub puller

Post by Tom Wilson »

67GTC and I started the process of replacing one of the wheel bearings on his GTC today. The job required a number of creative uses of tools, among them the grinding down of a modern hub puller to fit in the slim spaces provided by Ferrari.

This got us to wondering about the hub puller that came with the tool kit; an item that neither of us have or have ever seen. It appears to be barrel shaped with a "bolt" going through the center , so we theorize that it screws onto the hub, using the threads provided for the knockoffs. Once attached, you would use the "bolt" to push on the nut in the center of the hub, thus pulling it off. However, as the knockoff threads are reversed on one side, you would need two of these things, correct? Having one is hard enough to imagine, so two seems downright impossible. Where did we go wrong here?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Once your remove the cotter pin, castle nut, AND THE WASHER (ask me how I know), attach the hub puller to the threads of hub, and start turning the threaded rod against the threaded axle shaft. The hub will start coming out with the pressure from the threaded rod.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom Y - So how do you know??????? (you told me to ask!)

Tom S - Is this thing better than a modern day hub puller (ground down)? or is it just for shows?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Tom Y - So how do you know??????? (you told me to ask!)
One of the first things I had to do with my car when I got it 8 years ago was to remove the front hubs. I removed the castlated nut but didn't see the thick washer behind it, and installed the hub puller. It wasn't until the washer started to ride up on the threaded rod, that I realized my mistake. I was surprised Francois was so understanding when I showed him how I bunged up some of the threads on his hub puller. I'm lucky he didn't just kick me out of his garage back then!

Tom

P.S. the Ferrari style hub puller works great.
'63 330 America #5053
zac

Post by zac »

Tom W.

the question is what are you grabbing with the modern puller?

if your pulling on the brake rotor mounting flange than you could warp it and cause a problem with brake rotor mounting forever. use the proper puller and if needed a little heat but the main idea in taking something apart is to repair it and to not ruin anything in the process.

Zac
1970 365 gt 2+2 13137, 1997 550 Maranello, 1969 Lamborghini Miura S, 1973 365 GTB/4 Daytona
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I think we are ok Zac. We did consider gripping the rotor but not only was the puller too small, but we did worry about warpage.
Instead, we found an edge, just to the right of the bolts in this photo (the shadowed area between the shaft and the bolts) that we could grip on to. Once we reduced the thickness of the "grabbers" on the hub puller, we were able to get a good grip and the hub slid off with little resistance.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Glad you guys got the hub off without damaging anything. I'm sure someone in SoCal will have a Ferrari Hub Puller you can borrow next time. Remember, there are two sizes, and the GTC uses the smaller (32?) one while the GTEs use the larger 42 size hub puller.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Speaking as someone who owns the "Mac Daddy" Snap-On puller set, but has used the original Ferrari hub puller, the Ferrari tool is FAR superior.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

I was warned several times about rigging up a puller so I bought the correct one last summer (not cheap either), and used it once on each front hub. It was totally effortless. I'd be happy to lend it to whoever needs it - just shoot me an email.

Keith