my 250 gte project

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

derfgte

my 250 gte project

Post by derfgte »

5 years ago i thought that i could purchase an old car and put a new engine in it for the same amount of money as the price of a new car. then after driving it a few years not lose any value of the car. so i thought, after reading the comments on this site, a ferrari is just that car. now i have learned that puting an LT1 in a 250 gte gets you a 150 MPH daily driver, that is 2000 lb lighter than a corvette. opps with a devilish grin on my face. when i read the comments about this car before i purchased it, Tom S. had a better rap than it got (sorry tom) hehehe.
so as they say "shut up and show us what you got", so let the ribbing commence.
David Booth

Re: my 250 gte project

Post by David Booth »

Smoly hokes.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Fred,

The only problem I have is...Where are the pictures of the engine compartment?!? I want to see how you mounted the engine in there!

Can you get the car registered with the VIN? It looks like it was welded on later.

Initial reaction: you saved a derelict GTE, and I'd love to take her out for a drive!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Can you get the car registered with the VIN? It looks like it was welded on later

Tom

the picture of the welded #number is VERY VERY interesting !
Those who build a 250GT Carlfornia spider with #2573, only took out the chasisnumber and probebly use a compleet new chassis.
i have seen already several CLONES ( two cars with same #number) in Italy
Who owns the real title?
I would vote for the car above .

Cornelis
Attachments
NEW WELDED NUMBER
NEW WELDED NUMBER
DSCN1631.jpg (48.84 KiB) Viewed 9960 times
derfgte

Post by derfgte »

thanks for the heads up on SS#.
is the number 2126 or 2573?
i looked in the registry no number showed up for 2126 is this even a GTE?
i will post engine bay photos and more SS# later
any other detailed pix you want let me know
yes it is alot of fun to drive, but i haven't taken it to the mountains yet.
fred
250GT

Post by 250GT »

derfgte wrote:thanks for the heads up on SS#.
is the number 2126 or 2573?
i looked in the registry no number showed up for 2126 is this even a GTE?
i will post engine bay photos and more SS# later
any other detailed pix you want let me know
yes it is alot of fun to drive, but i haven't taken it to the mountains yet.
fred

Fred ,you own the original chassis of Ferrari 2573GT GTE IMO (so it looks on the pics).
sometimes the real# number can be found on the back side in front of the rearaxel looking to the front side.
That means YOU own THEORITICAL spoken also he 250GT Carl Spider replica.
If you could find out this car who knows........................
am I wrong?

Cornelis
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Fred: All GTE's (and all the early street cars, for that matter) had odd numbered, 4 digit serial numbers. The IGM number below it is not it. Actually, I have no idea what that number means. Anyway, you might also want to check the 3 digit number on the hood latch (on the flat surface facing the windshield). That is the Pininfarina body number and we can see if it is correct for Ferrari Serial Number 2573.

More photos please!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
250GT

Post by 250GT »

Tom Wilson wrote:Fred: All GTE's (and all the early street cars, for that matter) had odd numbered, 4 digit serial numbers. The IGM number below it is not it. Actually, I have no idea what that number means. Anyway, you might also want to check the 3 digit number on the hood latch (on the flat surface facing the windshield). That is the Pininfarina body number and we can see if it is correct for Ferrari Serial Number 2573.

More photos please!

Taillights looks like serie 3 , but that says not much .
PF number on hood can prove if numbert 2573 is "only" a fantasy number or not.
But the are a lot of people with low intelligence walking around. Or body shops.
Investing 200-300K usd without sence ?
INTERESTING.
Those who owns the chassis owns the car in question, so simple is it.

C.

P.S. If this come truth, I appriciate a box of 12 good bottles of wine-- ha-- ( french when possible)
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Tom Wilson wrote:The IGM number below it is not it. Actually, I have no idea what that number means...
The "IGM 2126 OM" is the homologation stamping for the GTE. IGM stands for Ispettorato Generale Motorizzazione (Inspector General's Office). The 2126 is the number assigned to the GTE homologation paperwork. OM stands for Omologato del Ministero dei Transporti, the Italian entity responsible for homologating Italian automobiles.

I've uploaded the GTE homologation PDF file on my website so you can download it if you wish. Just click on this link (http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/i ... E-1960.pdf) to open it using Adobe reader. Sorry I wasn't able to post the file directly, but this message board doesn't allow PDF files to be posted.

Another example is the chassis stamp on my 330 GT. The homologation number for the 330 GT is 3835, so:
ChassisVIN_small.jpg
ChassisVIN_small.jpg (5.98 KiB) Viewed 9784 times
you see the IGM 3835 OM stamping.

Note, the homologation certificate shows a number of useful pieces of information, including the brake system, exhaust system and various measurements on the chassis and body.

So TomW, TMI (too much information)?
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Actually, my problem is usually not enough information. If I had a problem with too much information, I would have been out of here a long time ago! :D
derfgte

Post by derfgte »

heres some new pix, click on what seems interesting then zoom in for details:
http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/emilyalisabeth/
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Actually, there is a lot more room in the engine compartment than I would have expected. The GTE can't have more room in there than a Corvette, can it? The Corvette is pretty wide and has a long hood.

Fred - whenever we see a non-Ferrari engine in a GTE, it is a Chevy. Is there some compatibility thing going on here or is it just that the Chevy engine is pretty popular? Did you consider how the engine would work with the GTE before making your decision or did you choose the engine and do what it took to make it work?

Also, did you do the headlight body work or was it that way when you bought it from Tom S.?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

5 years ago i thought that i could purchase an old car and put a new engine in it for the same amount of money as the price of a new car. then after driving it a few years not lose any value of the car. so i thought, after reading the comments on this site, a ferrari is just that car.
I think that you are correct in thinking that adding a non-Ferrari engine would not devaluate the value of a GTE chassis & body. Up until recently, such a shell was worth only its weight in scrap metal. Lately, a number of GTE bodies have been updated or hot rodded. Regardless, should an engine be sourced, undoing the minor modifications needed to add the engine would not be a big deal.

I do think the front end body modifications are a big deal, value-wise. Undoing this kind of work is not only a serious job, but why would one attempt to do so, rather than work with an existing body, of which many exist.

That being said, I am glad you rescued another parted out GTE from the scrap heap.
derfgte

Post by derfgte »

tom both came with the car, i didn't want to use a 350.
i did know what i was building (a hot rod) and was going to stay inside my budget.
the 5 speed and nose addition was appealing.
when bill gates adopts me then i can afford to restore one back to original.
fred